Diving Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to your web page linked above. I decided to check out the first dive site on your list; Sharks Cove. I was almost immediately shocked and offended. :shocked2:

How can you sit there over 2,500 miles away and recommend walking on the tide flats as a possible entry, especially when only a few sentences later you print this? :shakehead:

This is a marine life preserve, so please be respectful of the animals that live here.

I next went to your About web page, where this is part of your :)dontknow:) mission statement;

One Blue World is also trying to educate you about different kinds of marine life. We want to show you how to identify, recognize, and potentially find them in the wild so that you can experience them for yourself. In this constantly changing world we live in we want to make you aware of different issues and valuable knowledge about our oceans. We also want to make users aware of different threats, and how you can help with those issues.

I have a little history with Sharks Cove; I worked for Deep Ecology Dive Shop the first 3 years Shark's Cove was under protection (part of Pupukea Marine Life Conversation District). Deep Ecology's founder/owner was pretty much the reason Pupukea MLCD happened. :coffee:

Lame a source as it may be, Wikipedia says this well enough for me; :kiss2:

Intertidal zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia:
The intertidal region is an important model systems for the study of ecology, especially on wave-swept rocky shores. The region contains a high diversity of species, and the different zones caused by the physics of the tides causes species ranges to be compressed into very narrow bands. This makes it relatively simple to study species across their entire cross-shore range, something that can be extremely difficult in, for instance, terrestrial habitats that can stretch thousands of kilometers. Communities on wave-swept shores also have high turnover due to disturbance, so it is possible to watch ecological succession over years rather than decades.

If One Blue World is really trying to educate, it would talk about how since the letter of the law seems to not care about the entire Pupukea ecosystem, we as a dive community need to lead by example and only enter this dive site by beach or boat!

Last edited:
halemanō;5607407:
I went to your web page linked above. I decided to check out the first dive site on your list; Sharks Cove. I was almost immediately shocked and offended. :shocked2:

How can you sit there over 2,500 miles away and recommend walking on the tide flats as a possible entry, especially when only a few sentences later you print this? :shakehead:

It's all Lava Rock. Your not destroying anything walking on it. The path you take isn't actually tide flats. I also used to live on Oahu. Believe me I know... The tide flats are right where the elevator shaft starts... So again You don't actually walk on tide flats for that entry...

It's all Lava Rock. Your not destroying anything walking on it. The path you take isn't actually tide flats. I also used to live on Oahu. Believe me I know... The tide flats are right where the elevator shaft starts... So again You don't actually walk on tide flats for that entry...

Believe me, you do not know. :no:

Before One Blue World can educate others, they (you) evidently need to be educated. :mooner:

Look at the videos and picture linked below; It is an intertidal zone, the only way to not step on healthy live organisms is to step in the same footprints as the first person, so then you are only stepping on recently dead or dieing organisms.

Sharks Cove at the Elevator Shaft on Vimeo

YouTube - Shark Cove

DSCF9212 | The Pokrifchaks

The family in the above linked picture is standing on the shore side (mauka) of the elevator shaft. You can not walk to the elevator shaft without walking on living organisms.

Tide pool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia:
High and mid tide zone

The high tide zone is flooded for hours during each high tide. Organisms must survive wave action, currents, and exposure to the sun. The high tide zone is inhabited by sea anemones, seastars, chitons, crabs, green algae, and mussels. Marine algae can provide shelter for such organisms as nudibranchs and hermit crabs. The same waves and currents that make the life in the high tide zone so difficult bring food to the filter feeders and other intertidal animals.

I am sorry that you are so offended by this dive entry. Here is a picture of the elevator shaft.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/uploads/169303/DSC0856.JPG

The site is covered in old lava rock, and there is even a cement foot path to follow (though you can't see it in the picture). The point of sharing these dive sites are not encourage irresponsible diving practices as you seem to assume. It is merely to show where dive sites are. The individual has the choice as to whether or not they want to participate. Yes there are urchins in the crevices and algae in the small surrounding pools. Divers should be aware of the marine life and watch where they step.

As a side note, these forums are a great way to discuss topics with other divers. I do find it rather immature and distasteful to add snarky emotes to comments.

also if we're nitpicking, the site you list as "electric beach" is in reality "Kahe point", electric beach is the fenced in area north of Kahe point, no one dives there since there's nothing really to see there

(still banging my head against the wall wondering why people can come here and change the names of our dive and surf spots)

also if we're nitpicking, the site you list as "electric beach" is in reality "Kahe point", electric beach is the fenced in area north of Kahe point, no one dives there since there's nothing really to see there

(still banging my head against the wall wondering why people can come here and change the names of our dive and surf spots)

Your right. That happens everywhere you go though people just change the names. I'll change the name to that dive site.

Looks like you put in a lot of hard work and got a lot of harsh flaming in return.

While not proper, many people refer to that dive as Electric Beach because you dive around the electric plant's discharge. My point is I knew it first as Electric Beach, only later did I learn the proper "Kahe Point" nomenclature.

Hale is right to point out that there is a highly productive world of organisms that use the intertidal zone for refuge. That is hardly just seaweed! In OneBlue's defense, there are also lots of organisms in the sand that you are walking on when you enter from the beach. If you are going to shore-dive a spot, at some point you will have to walk on intertidal organisms. I guess the lesson is tread lightly.

wow, a little bashing going on here? if someone told me hey meet up at "Kahe Point" id have to think about what they just said. if they said meet them at electric beach theres no question in my mind about where they want to meet. but then I only been on the Island 11 years. not once have i seen or heard it called anything other than electric beach. while the entry you speak of seems to offend people I have never seen anyone walk over and say to people going out that way "hey your walking on wild life/sea life" I dove there almost everyday the summer of 09 and that was never brought up as an issue.

Personally I am taken aback about the fact that you list shops in the area, but I didnt see surf and sea listed or deep ecology. the two dive shops that have worked very hard to make those dive sites what they are today. so im thinking that just popping in here like you did advertising your site was not a good way to introduce yourself to the dive community at large. but thats just my opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom