Diving off Wilmington - best/better time to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a dive trip to Wilmington to happen in the next few weeks/months. Is it best to go sooner rather than later, or does it really matter if I go late August/mid September (full moon)/late September?

I'm looking at the dive sites now and want to do a wreck dive (the Hyde? Markham?) and a reef dive. I might stay longer than a weekend, too.

Water temp will be warm no matter what, you will be at the mercy of the winds. Markham is a good wreck, the Hyde is pretty much right beside it, maybe a few 100 yards away

I learned to dive in Wilmington. It's also were I went to school. The time really does not matter. Most of the dive shops keep taking people out up until December because the ocean stays so warm. The Hyde and the Markham are both great wrecks. The City of Houston is great as well though it is quite a ride out and back, I've heard. The Stone Tug is a nice calm dive. DiverDownD3 is exactly right, the biggest issue will be the wind and you want be sure about those conditions until the night before or the morning off. Hope all works out.

We've been to several of the sites but we really liked Frying Pan Tower. Long ride to get there but lots of sea life. Might want t look at You Tube. Used to be lots of Sand Tigers on the Hyde & Markham but don't know where they have gone to. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom