Diving Okinawa in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red-lipped batfish:
Thanks. I am aware he meant celsius. Diving 3 to 4 times a day in 26' C feels cold in my 3mm suit. July/Aug sounds more manageable.

hi red-lipped batfish,

the high season for HHs in yonaguni is jan/feb. the water temp then is sometimes even lower than 20 degrees in C.

in general, we use drysuits in such a condition in japan. however, u have to swim around fast to look for HHs 'cause ur guide takes u up and down in the water. that's why almost all divers there use 5 or 6.5mm wetsuit with hood and vest even in jan/feb. because of the same reason (frequent ups and downs underwater), rebreathers are not recommended.

ken chung ar

A 7mm is plenty for diving down here in the winter. Current water temp is 29C. I'm still in shorts and a rash guard for 3 dives a day. This temp should hold for another month or so and start a very slow drop. By Dec-Jan the temp is usually in the low 20C's. As stated earlier the water temp can get below 20C but it is quite rare for that. In 12 years of diving in Okinawa year round the coldest I can find in my logs is 18.5C. Usual winter temp in Okinawa mainland diving is 20-22C Yonaguni is usually 1-2C degrees higher than Okinawa.
The other advantage we have is the air temp here is usually higher when we get out so that helps. Hammmerheads are only seen in Jan-Mar so if you want to see them winter diving it is. For the reefs and stuff year round is available. (Was just swimming with a couple mantas out in the Keramas on Wednesday)

Thanks Japan-Diver. I'll be sure to check out Reef Encounters when we have decided to visit.

japan-diver:
A 7mm is plenty for diving down here in the winter. Current water temp is 29C. I'm still in shorts and a rash guard for 3 dives a day. This temp should hold for another month or so and start a very slow drop. By Dec-Jan the temp is usually in the low 20C's. As stated earlier the water temp can get below 20C but it is quite rare for that. In 12 years of diving in Okinawa year round the coldest I can find in my logs is 18.5C. Usual winter temp in Okinawa mainland diving is 20-22C Yonaguni is usually 1-2C degrees higher than Okinawa.
The other advantage we have is the air temp here is usually higher when we get out so that helps. Hammmerheads are only seen in Jan-Mar so if you want to see them winter diving it is. For the reefs and stuff year round is available. (Was just swimming with a couple mantas out in the Keramas on Wednesday)

Where exactly are you located? I dive all over Okinawa but I'm a new diver maybe I'll come and see you to do my AOW....

ken chung ar:
hi red-lipped batfish,

the high season for HHs in yonaguni is jan/feb. the water temp then is sometimes even lower than 20 degrees in C.

in general, we use drysuits in such a condition in japan. however, u have to swim around fast to look for HHs 'cause ur guide takes u up and down in the water. that's why almost all divers there use 5 or 6.5mm wetsuit with hood and vest even in jan/feb. because of the same reason (frequent ups and downs underwater), rebreathers are not recommended.

ken chung ar

I wonder why they do not recommend drysuits and rebreathers because of 'frequent ups and downs?'

A correctly used drysuit is easier to dive than a 5/6.5 mm wetsuit and diving up/down with open circuit air (as they use in Yonaguni) can't be very healthy... Sorry for jumping off the subject. My feeling is that the instructors there doesn't know what they are talking about. (Yes, I have been there). Thomas

Sorry to bring this up again 10 years later:) I will be in Okinawa around New Year's Eve weekend this winter, do dive shops still operate that weekend? Happy to come a bit earlier or later especially if there's a chance of catching hammers, just curious if anyone has any experience or advice, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom