Diving on the archaeological wreck of the ss Mediator in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustele

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The historical wreck of the ss Mediator, a sailing steamship that sank in 1884 after it was hit by a German freighter, lies in the harbor entrance of Willemstad, Curacao. Diving in the harbor is not allowed without permission from the harbor authorities and Stimana (foundation for Marine Archaeology in the Netherlands Antilles) has this permission. Weekly on Sunday there are guided dives on this wreck organized by Stimana with help of a number of volunteers.
I am one of the regular dive guides there and last Sunday I decided to make a video of "a guided tour" so that everyone can get an impression of a dive on this wreck. The real thing is always better, so make an appointment with us when you are in Curacao. It is not your regular tropical dive because the visibility in the harbor is considerably lower than in the clear water along the coast and can at times be very limited. For cold water divers nothing special, but for us, tropical divers, a new experience.
The video can be found at Youtube. The duration is close to 10 minutes. A normal guided dive takes about 45 minutes.

How cool....I didn't even know it was there....Viz looks brutal...not exactly what I am used to seeing in the waters of Curacao. Man I can't wait to get there in Feb....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom