Diving on the Spirit of Freedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our local dive shop is contemplating scheduling a trip to Australia and using the Spirit of Freeedom as our dive boat. Has anyone used this boat and if so, what are your thoughts. Here is the itinerary they use: scuba_dive_the_coral_sea_live-aboard_itinerary.gif. There are two months that our dive shop gave for the trip Feb and Jul. Any thoughts on which month is better?

It has been my dream to dive the reefs in Australia and I really want to go.

Regards,

Bill

I'm booked on SoF for July of this year. As part of doing research, I found nothing but extremely positive words for SoF. Here is a thread where I was gathering information on SoF and other liveaboards.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know how your trip went so, when you get back let me know.

Regards,

Bill

this may be a little late in response but I have been on SOF a couple of times and the boat is great, staff great and the diving is as good as the GBR gets.

Definitely I would pick Jul date for two reasons, one is that you may well see Minke Whales second is that Dec to March is cyclone season and you run the possibility that you won't get out.

Water temp in July will be around the 25C mark and the weather should be nice but not hot, probably air temp around the 25C mark also.

Hope this helps

Jon

Thanks for the comment Jon. Our dive shop selected Jul as the month to go and I have already signed up. What would you recommend for a wetsuit? I have a 3 mil and a 5/3 mil hooded vest, would that be sufficient? Alternately, I also have a 7 mil suit.

Regards,

Bill

thespoons, I would love to hear how your diving went. Please share your thoughts when you get back.

Regards,

Bill

I would take a 5/3 and a hood and vest, You'll be fine with the 5/3 if the weather is good, however if you get wind and rain (hopefully not) you may get cold after a few dives. If you feel the cold take the 7mm, lets face it you won't be too hot.... have fun!

Sorry just re-read your post, yeah you should be ok with 3mm plus 5mm hooded vest but as above if you feel the cold take the 7mm.

One great thing about the boat and crew though is that they really look after you with warm towels and heaps of great food.

Fiji will be warmer though :wink:!

Jon

Thanks Jon, I don't normally get cold but cold is bad and warm is good, so I may want to just take the 7 mil.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom