Diving out of Belize City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpeckledGrouper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are going on a short business trip to BZE later this week. We won't have time to go to one of the Cays but we do have time to dive Saturday and Sunday. I contacted what appears to be the only dive shop in Belize City but from the reply I gather that they are mostly geared towards the cruise ship market and they are also very expensive.
I got the dive gear in the suit case.......should I bring it or take it back out???

I think it would be hard. That shop is likely the only place you can get a fill or tank on the mainland near Belize City. The water taxi to Caye Caulker or San Pedro is one option, depends on how early you want to get up in the morning far a late morning or afternoon dive at one of those. It might be the same cost, but they should be oriented to a more experienced divers. I do not live there but just came back from a trip to San Pedro. I originally though we would stay in Belize City and considered that exact plan to dive from an op in San Pedro or Caye Caulker. It seemed feasible at the time, and worth it for a better/different dive experience.

I assume the dive shop in Belize City is Sea Sports Belize. Afaik, they are the only dive shop in town. Did they say they won't take you? That's kind of surprising as I thought they run their boats out of BZ City so it seems like they could just take you out when they pick up the cruise ship customers.

If they won't take you, then like MichaelMC said. Grab an early morning water taxi and head for Caye Caulker or AC. Be sure to make arrangements in advance.

We have been to Caye Caulker in 2012 and dived with Belize Diving Services which I highly recommend. So we already did the Blue Hole, Turneffe Atoll etc.
We just wanted to get in the water and not spend a fortune. I looked at the cruise ship calendar and there are no ships in port this weekend. The reply email I got from the Dive Shop in Belize City seemed very generic and almost automated, that's what turned me off. I guess we have no other option at this time.

My recommendation on the water taxi was for getting to either main Caye to do dives just outside their local reefs. It would not be the atolls but I enjoyed it and it is a chance to dip in the water. The water taxi has lots of room under the seats for whatever luggage/dive bag you need to bring. I do not think you could get to the Caye early enough to leave with an atoll trip anyway. But local dives should be possible.

Back
Top Bottom