Diving Out of Playa del Carmen, Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.A.Martin

Reaction score
I'll be staying at the RIU Playacar from 9-27 to 10-4-03. My PADI open water certification will only be two weeks old when I arrive. I'm taking the course right now, and expect to complete it next weekend (9-14-03). What might you recommend for a beginning diver in Playa del Carmen? Should I take an excursion out to Cozumel? Would you recommend it for a beginning diver?
Also, might you know of a 5 Star PADI operator in Playa del Carmen? What about ScubaCaribe? Any experiences with their divers?

Please let me know your thoughts, and anything else that may be helpful to me.

Thank You,

Mark :)

Mark Martin
Hartford, Wisconsin USA

Mark,

Just returned from a great vacation in PdC. Had a great time and got some really good dives in. Two of my favorite spots were Xcaret 1 and 55. There were loads of big fish, turtles, eels, and colorful reef creatures.

I dove with Cyan Ha, which has a great staff and good boats. The boats are small (as most are in this area), only seats 12 max. There were usually 6 to 10 divers on each trip. They also video tape all of their dives, to purchase if you like.

If you do get a chance you should go on a dive in Cozumel. Just be sure to let the DM know you are a newbie. You will be diving in current on most dives here, so be honest with the DM.

Enjoy your vacation, welcome to the new world and have fun.

Daive Smart: Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

MaresMan1,

Thanks for the reply! You've provided me with some great feedback.

1. Did you shop around much when selecting a dive operator? If so, who else did you check out? Any thoughts on either Dive Mike's or Scuba Caribe?

2. Is a Cozumel dive that much more spectacular or worthy relative to diving out of PdC?

3. Do you recall what you paid for your dives with Cyan Ha? One tank or two? Lunch included? How much do they get for the videotape? Includes both surface and underwater footage?

I'm trying to research this as much as possible to ensure a positive and safe experience. I'd really appreciate any more info. that you may be able to provide me with.

Thank You,

Mark

My wife and I just got back a week or so ago from PDC. I checked out Tank Ha, the Abyss, and DiveMike. I thought all 3 of them were very good operations, but I selected DiveMike. I don't know exactly why. They just 'felt' right. They turned out to be a great operation. We went on 7 dives with them (including cenotes), and had a wonderful time. I would definitely use them again.

Didn't get over to Cozumel, but plan to go there soon. You can check out DiveMike's website (www.DiveMike.com). Prices were about the same for all three dive operators. It is definitely cheaper (10%-20%) to buy a package deal than individual days of diving. The cenote diving included a sandwich for lunch, as it is a longer day.

_____________________edit______________________
oops, just realized this is post is a year old. nevermind.

cozumel should not be missed the difference in water color is amazing. pdc is green and cozumel is to dive for blue. not that that make a difference. the drift diving is great. the ferry ride may not be that great. just remember to head for the back of the boat if you are prone to sea sickness and go outside and sit. don't get me wrong i love to dive in cozumel but i'm torn on where to stay pdc or cozumel. pdc i've been to twice and love the proximity of the bars and rest/hotels. cozumel has the i dream of blue water :07:

I use Tank ha--we like them--them also have their own boat to Cozumel so you don't have to take a ferry if you want to dive over their. They also have good deals with Club Maeva Tulum which is a very nice all inclusive--they have a shop at the resort and the diving is good. their main shop is in Playa

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom