Should the PADI recreational limit of 40m on compressed air be reviewed?

• Yes

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 69 83.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without the money to show you can pay claims from somebody you cannot get approved in any of the 50 states or in any first or second world country. As for expertise when insurance carriers first started writing this coverage they had no date and put programs together solely on what the dive industry could offer. Now they have enough data to actually based on their own loss experience to better understand their risk from an insurance standpoint.
There are a lot of things a company can do, but usually there is one that maximises your return on equity because that's what you are good at. Sure any company with capital could run an insurance but maybe some other would be better at ?

Maybe PADI is better at running their business than running an insurance ?

I have been working in pension reinsurance for quite a while and everybody can learn how to read a mortality table but that's not because you can read a few numbers that you can start a pension reinsurance company.

If a diver goes beyond 40m on purpose and starts to have problems, is it assumed a rescue will be attempted?

If a diver goes beyond 40m on purpose and starts to have problems, is it assumed a rescue will be attempted?

It's difficult to watch someone die and not attempt to save them... I've risked personal safety in the line of duty and will again.

My friends who have made the hardest call say it's also hard to decide if it's going to be two fatalities or one that day.

At the end of the day, I'm going home.

It's difficult to watch someone die and not attempt to save them... I've risked personal safety in the line of duty and will again.

My friends who have made the hardest call say it's also hard to decide if it's going to be two fatalities or one that day.

At the end of the day, I'm going home.

Terrible decision to have to make, to have to live and sleep with..........

A quick word on equipment at depth.
Aside from “is there anything wonky” going on with your reg that is magnified at depth, there are some real performance concerns.
My understanding of the EU CE testing, is that the current EN250:A standard evaluates performance at 165ft/50m, and 725psi/50bar. So deeper than that may not have been tested, or even designed for by the manufacturer. Maybe the group in the video is using high performance gear, but maybe not. Either way, it is a variable to account for. Even with that standard, CE does not validate the use of TWO 2nd stages on one 1st stage at that depth, instead specifying a redundant air source. (I forget what depth they kick in with the redundancy, maybe 100 ft?)

So at the very least, a pony bottle at that depth would be the first place to start with specialized equipment needs, for multiple reasons.

I've heard regs can freeze up past certain depths in cold water. I wouldn't like to push my scuba pro mark4 to say 60 m bounce dive without a backup.
Also what's a free flow gonna be like at that depth?

It is 60m for a cmas 3* diver. On air. :wink:

And a little bit more serious: in cold water you need to have regulators that have the EN-250A norm, that means they can be used in cold water in an octopus configuration. If not, then you have to use a second outletvalve and another first stage. Of course you still need to use cold water regs. But for example the DS4 from apeks is a great first stage, but not suited to be used in cold water in an octopus configuration. So use it with an extra outlet and use 2 first stages and problem is solved. I have used the DS4 on open circuit in 4 degrees water till 110m depth. As bailout regulator till 135m depth.
40m is not that deep that helium is strictly needed. But the 60m for a cmas 3* diver is more questionable. But even then, in clear warm waters with no current, 60m is totally different from 4 degrees dark waters with limited viz.

Back
Top Bottom