DIVING PHILIPPINES?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I'm very new to ScubaBoard.com (5 minutes actually) I really need help deciding where to go in the Philippines. We have a month next March to hunt for the best diving. On our list of places so far is Cebu, Bohol, Moalboal , then a rip up to the top of Cebu and over to Malapascua (to meet a flock of Thresher sharks-I hope) Then back to Cebu for a flight to Coron (I think) it gets a bit mucky here. I don't know if we should fly to Puerto Princesa and dive there, then a flight to Coron and stay for a few days then off on a live aboard for 6 days out to Apo reef. Another plan is to fly from Cebo to Coron first, have a few days then go on the live aboard to Apo, come back to Coron and fly with a sea plane up to Puerto Galera for a few days then another sea plane (if they go) to Manila and home to Australia. Pete, my husband and I love big things. Love to dive with a Whale shark, but not a swim with a thousand people at Oslo. We'd really love to be in the water with a "school" of Hammerheads. We love sea caves, swim through tunnels and interesting seascapes. We'll get the opportunity to explore some of the wrecks near Coron through a dive store and also on the live aboard. BUT what am I missing???? What is the best of the best in the Philippines? Where is the clearest water, where have you been that blew you away? We're on a very tight budget, so accommodation will suffer but this will be our only chance to dive in this area and I'm the travel "officer" making all the decisions and bookings. So easy to make a mistake. So I really need your help... Thanks for reading this cheers Dianne (In Brisbane)

If you want the best of, also want big things (think whale sharks naturally swimming by without feeding without a bunch of other people with you), Tubbataha is your place BUT their season starts late March to early June and is liveaboard access only. If you have any flexibility, April to May is better for conditions as early and late trips can get cancelled. It will eat a chunk out of your budget but the coral and life there is arguably the best in the Philippines. Should you do that, you can do a safari (dive and eat on boat, stay at guest houses at night) from El Nido to Coron while diving the wrecks along the way then to Puerto Galera as we did.

If you are flying into Manila then please consider Scandi divers resort in Big La Laguna, Puerto Galera. It's about 3-4 hours travel by van and boat from the airport. We have a great mix of wrecks, reef, drift and muck diving. We are just one hour from Verde Island which is one of the best dives in Asia. You can also get to Apo Reef which is great for sharks, barracuda and more pelagic species.
www.scandidivers.com

Had a great time diving in Anilao with Club Ocellaris and Action Divers in Sabang (Puerto Galera)... 60 dives in just over two weeks.

If you love whalesharks , then Southern Leyte is a totally natural environment and has wonderful diving. It should still be the whaleshark season ,but personally I would head there first. You can get there by ferry from Cebu, but cannot dive with whalesharks there. Malapascua is beautiful, but thresher sharks don’t live in schools , you will see probably several single animals quite close. In a month Leyte, Malapascua , Coron and Apo Reef are doable, you will have a fantastic time.

Best fishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom