Diving Report Tavernir & Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssflounder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FYI,
Just got back from a week down in the Keys vis. 50-80ft on the reef around Tavernier. Heard 60-100ft around Largo from diving reports. KW had 10-20ft vis on inshore reefs. Wrecks had 7-15ft...I guess this is normal around the KW area. I compared notes from 2 years ago on during the same time and had similar results. It was interesting seeing what the 3 Hurricanes did to the wrecks and reefs at KW. Joe's Tug is now in pieces, Cayman Salvage has wallowed down in the sand abou 4-6 feet.

Back to diving dark water 1-7ft vis in local rivers in the Lowcountry.

Happy New Year!

My husband and I are heading to Key West Jan 21-28 with non diving friends, but want to get wet. Who did you go out with? How many divers per boat? Any suggestions? The visibility sounds like a WI quarry to me, and I gave those up after getting certifed! We were in the Galapagos in October and headed to Curacao in February, but would like to have a decent dive near Key West. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

vjh:
My husband and I are heading to Key West Jan 21-28 with non diving friends, but want to get wet. Who did you go out with? How many divers per boat? Any suggestions? The visibility sounds like a WI quarry to me, and I gave those up after getting certifed! We were in the Galapagos in October and headed to Curacao in February, but would like to have a decent dive near Key West. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Less than an hour's drive away is Big Pine (MM 30) where you can get a charter out to Looe Key, which is one of the prettiest reefs in the Keys with viz usually well over 50 feet.

VJH,
We went out with Lost Adventures off of Caroline St. Their boat is in the Conch Harbor. 3 blocks away from Duval. We dove with them 2 years ago. Very friendly group. We had 6-8 people on the boat the first and 12 on the second knowing we were going to the inshore reef they took 4 snorks out. They let the divers go first. Big boat, like a 60' plenty of room. They did everything for us. I'd dive with them again.

I know some of the folks at Lost Reef Adventures and they are a good crew. I'm also friendly with Subtropic and would recommend that dive op as well. If you want to come up to dive the Adolphus Busch and Looe Key, I run a 6-pack boat at MM24 and would be happy to take you out there!

Rachel

Thanks for the information. Rachel, how do I find out more about your operation? Phone number or website appreciated!

Just give me a call... 305-515-2750

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom