Diving SE asia in december / Xmas - where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iforu330

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning to go somewhere south east for the Xmas break (dec 22-29) to do some diving. I current have malaysia (sipidan), thailand (similan), and Indonesia (bali and komodo) in mind.

I have been reading up on threads recommending where to go. Xmas in Malaysia and Indonesia seem to not be very ideal, since its their "low season" due to the rain. I was just at Thailand last year, so i'm not particularly eager to go back. but i didn't do any diving last time, so perhaps it will be a good idea?

Has anyone gone diving at around that time? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

and also this is my first post in sb (i've been a viewer for a loooong time tho ;D)

Hi and Welcome,
If you didn't dive last time you were in Thailand why not join a liveaboard to the Similan Islands and the northern sites looking for the big fish?
No guarantees, but the weather should be great at the end of December - excellent visibility, flat seas with blue skies.
There are still spaces available on many trips - Thailand Liveaboards

You are correct that for Bali and Sipadan the season is not ideal, though to be fair, they do dive year round at both places. The weather in Thailand's Andaman Sea is typically glorious at the end of the year, with flat seas and sunny skies. For this reason I agree with OTS above about the liveaboard option for Thailand. We have literally several dozens of boats and sailing schedules to select from, so there is an excellent chance we can find a boat that suits your travel dates and your budget.

The weather in Sulawesi was very good the year I went at that time. I don't think they get much rain at all. The diving there is exceptional. Try Two Fish Divers, and no I have no interest or affiliation w/ them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom