Anywhere beat Raja Ampat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have dived R4 twice and had numerous trips to Bali, Komodo ( twice / two liveaboards) Manado / Bunaken, Lembeh, is there anywhere else which can compare to R4 Kri Island ? I had dived all over Indonesia( Bali, Sulawesi, Manado, Bunaken,R4, Thailand ( unimpressed ) Sipidan, literally all over the Philippines, Palau x2, French Polynesia, Fiji, Mozambique, Galapagos, South Africa, Australia, Honduras, Belize, Mexico.
I would be going in August.
Thanks in advance

I have dived R4 twice and had numerous trips to Bali, Komodo ( twice / two liveaboards) Manado / Bunaken, Lembeh, is there anywhere else which can compare to R4 Kri Island ? I had dived all over Indonesia( Bali, Sulawesi, Manado, Bunaken,R4, Thailand ( unimpressed ) Sipidan, literally all over the Philippines, Palau x2, French Polynesia, Fiji, Mozambique, Galapagos, South Africa, Australia, Honduras, Belize, Mexico.
I would be going in August.
Thanks in advance
Absolutely Triton Bay. If you think Sorong or Lauban Bajo are the end of the world, welcome to Kaimana.

Triton Bay is a 60 minute boat ride, once you get there, you’re the only people on the island of Aiduma. Amazing diving with all the variety of RA, minus 600 of your closest friends.

Scuba with whale sharks and dive a fresh water lake with non-stinging jelly fish

A slice of diving paradise, especially since there are only 6 bungalows so 12 people max

Absolutely Triton Bay. If you think Sorong or Lauban Bajo are the end of the world, welcome to Kaimana.

Triton Bay is a 60 minute boat ride, once you get there, you’re the only people on the island of Aiduma. Amazing diving with all the variety of RA, minus 600 of your closest friends.

Scuba with whale sharks and dive a fresh water lake with non-stinging jelly fish

A slice of diving paradise, especially since there are only 6 bungalows so 12 people max

I was intrigued by your post and decided to look into how to get there.

Apparently, it's not easy to get to Kaimana. Looks like the only airline that goes there is Wings Air, which, from the reviews on Trip advisor appears to be a nightmare airline.

I thought that maybe a boat ferry might be an option. Googled it, and came up with this:

I guess there is a reason that it's not crowded.

I was intrigued by your post and decided to look into how to get there.

Apparently, it's not easy to get to Kaimana. Looks like the only airline that goes there is Wings Air, which, from the reviews on Trip advisor appears to be a nightmare airline.

I thought that maybe a boat ferry might be an option. Googled it, and came up with this:

I guess there is a reason that it's not crowded.
If ease of transit is your primary criteria, there is always Cozumel 😎

Actually on my flight to Kaimana, we were diverted about 10 minutes from landing and sent back to Sorong. The only other time I was on a plane that this happened was on 9/11

Turns out Kaimana "airport" has a single strip, if the weather is coming from the wrong direction, furgetaboudit.

Exceptional diving without the accompanying crowds is becoming harder to find I guess it's all about what you are looking for

If ease of transit is your primary criteria, there is always Cozumel 😎

Actually on my flight to Kaimana, we were diverted about 10 minutes from landing and sent back to Sorong. The only other time I was on a plane that this happened was on 9/11

Turns out Kaimana "airport" has a single strip, if the weather is coming from the wrong direction, furgetaboudit.

Exceptional diving without the accompanying crowds is becoming harder to find I guess it's all about what you are looking for

Your story reminds me of my trip to Saumlaki (for Forgotten Island trip) a couple months ago. We were flying from Ambon. 16 out of 18 divers for that trip were on that flight. If we didn’t make it there, I don’t think the boat were going to sail off with 2 guests.

British Columbia....... some of the best diving on the planet.. Awesomely friendly people and easy to get to.

Second time I hear of this place, looks amazing, thing is the price reflects the number of guests on the Island. Looked at the accommodation and it is bloody expensive. Are there other options for diving the same place or only one operator ?

Second time I hear of this place, looks amazing, thing is the price reflects the number of guests on the Island. Looked at the accommodation and it is bloody expensive. Are there other options for diving the same place or only one operator ?

Another option is liveaboard. I’ll be there in January 2025 on White Manta from Sorong to Kaimana, diving in Misool, Fak Fak & Triton Bay. Unfortunately my trip is already full.

There are some spots available in January-February 2024, however. Just check them out, on their website: White Manta Diving - Schedules & Rates for New White Manta

I would recommend the Banda Sea (Sep-Nov) or Halmehera particularly the straits between Bacan island and halmahera mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom