Diving sidemount on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, recreational sidemount is now mainstream,

... Just sayin

Mainstream (noun) 1. the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend

I haven't been diving in a few weeks... has sidemount become the principal/dominant recreational configuration in that time?

I remember when the ski resorts used to refuse entry to snowboarders, now that idea is laughable. SM support will probably go the same way.

Alta
Deer Valley
Mad river Glen

Mainstream (noun) 1. the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend

I haven't been diving in a few weeks... has sidemount become the principal/dominant recreational configuration in that time?

adjective

synonyms:normal, conventional, ordinary, orthodox, conformist, accepted, established, recognized, common, usual, prevailing, popular More
antonyms:fringe
(of a school or class) for students without special needs.
"children with minor handicaps would be able to attend mainstream schools"
verb
verb: mainstream; 3rd person present: mainstreams; past tense: mainstreamed; past participle: mainstreamed; gerund or present participle: mainstreaming
bring (something) into the mainstream.
"vegetarianism has been mainstreamed"

Mainstream as in acceptable in conventional use, brought into common place useage.

After providing the definitions, I'd say it still isn't "mainstream". The synonym list seems conflicting because while it may be recognized, it doesn't mean it is common. I'd say used by some people but not common.

Reactions: RJP
After providing the definitions, I'd say it still isn't "mainstream". The synonym list seems conflicting because while it may be recognized, it doesn't mean it is common. I'd say used by some people but not common.

I see far more rebreather divers than sidemount divers.

I see far more rebreather divers than sidemount divers.

Which again has nothing to do with the issue. Recreational rebreather and recreational sidemount are now ACCEPTED and SANCTIONED Open water methodologies, making them part of the "mainstream"... i.e. Non-technical diving.

If you don't like them, don't use them, but you certainly have ZERO right to complain about folks who chose to use them if they are certified to.

I was a back mount diver from 1996-2012. Now I only use back mount when teaching scuba. I use sidemount both technically and recreationally. It is a far superior gear configuration for safety. But you are free to use any approved recreational style you are trained for...

This is Scubaboard where you can always complain with little need for basis. :)

Can you give a one paragraph explanation educating me on why it's much safer? I can imagine accessing the tank but I can also think of balance and 35 lbs pulling my back to a side...

Reactions: Ana
This is Scubaboard where you can always complain with little need for basis. :)

Can you give a one paragraph explanation educating me on why it's much safer? I can imagine accessing the tank but I can also think of balance and 35 lbs pulling my back to a side...

First, valves are in visual site, blown o rings or other failures are immediately noticeable. Second, valve is able to be turned on/off examined, shut down in emergency quickly and easily. Third you can even connect/reconnect first stages in event of failure to see if it alleviates problem, while breathing from other gas supply. Fourth each tank has it's own first and second stage regulator- redundancy - a failure in one still leaves the other with plenty of gas. You also can even swap the bcd inflator hose in event of failure in one side. Fifth, Weight is better distributed for buoyancy and maintains trim in sm configuration. It also takes the pressure off the back for people with back issues on land. Sixth, if you use two 40 or 50 cu steel tanks you also have better weight distribution and the same volume (more if LPs are cave filled) of gas in a better package. Bottles can be carried one at a time to entry point and donned in water. Seventh, an out of air buddy need not be kept attached during ascent, as the donor bottle can be up clipped and passed, avoiding any issues of a panicked diver bolting to surface taking the donating diver along.

First, valves are in visual site, blown o rings or other failures are immediately noticeable. Second, valve is able to be turned on/off examined, shut down in emergency quickly and easily. Third you can even connect/reconnect first stages in event of failure to see if it alleviates problem, while breathing from other gas supply. Fourth each tank has it's own first and second stage regulator- redundancy - a failure in one still leaves the other with plenty of gas. You also can even swap the bcd inflator hose in event of failure in one side. Fifth, Weight is better distributed for buoyancy and maintains trim in sm configuration. It also takes the pressure off the back for people with back issues on land. Sixth, if you use two 40 or 50 cu steel tanks you also have better weight distribution and the same volume (more if LPs are cave filled) of gas in a better package. Bottles can be carried one at a time to entry point and donned in water. Seventh, an out of air buddy need not be kept attached during ascent, as the donor bottle can be up clipped and passed, avoiding any issues of a panicked diver bolting to surface taking the donating diver along.

And you don't have an entanglement hazard above and behind your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't like them, don't use them, but you certainly have ZERO right to complain about folks who chose to use them if they are certified to.

Why do you think/assume I'm complaining? I'm merely pointing out that, from a pure numbers standpoint, sidemount divers comprise a tiny sliver of a sliver of total recreational divers. Not even close to "mainstream" by any reasonable definition. "Sanctioned"? Sure, I'll give you that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom