Diving & Snorkeling in La Paz, Baja, México

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iggy23:
The diving was less than thrilling due to the Red Tide........Also might as well cross Mantas off your wanted list they haven't been seen in La Paz since 2002.

I have dove La Paz in the past and was pleased, but this trip was a major disappointment as I has to wear a 7mm wetsuit due to the cold water and that red tide.....but that is Mother nature for ya....

Hopefully Aero California will be back soon, that drive to La Paz from Cabo sucks

Hello:
I am sorry to hear that, and yes u are right... bout 3 weeks ago we had a bloom of mildly toxic microalgae that caused a red tide situation, and it was influenced by a very cold current we had inside the bay. It lasted 2 weeks and made the diving very cold & turbid, I went diving those days and all of the dive sites close to shore had a 9ft vis !! we had to go diving to la reina and some others dive sites more distant to get away of the red tide situation. Now the red tide is gone and I am already diving with a 2-3mm wetsuit again
About the mantas... you are partially correct, "La reina" is a dive site that had a very good reputation of having mantas, but since 2002 no mantas have been spotted over there, but at el bajo and some other dive sites we still spot mantas very often, particularly I saw many mantas accompanying whale sharks last summer, so I spotted quite a few. Yes, La Paz is no longer a dive site with a 100% prob of spotting mantas, but the odds are good anyway
Hope to have u back in this water in the near future
Rafael

Back
Top Bottom