Diving/Snorkeling with Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

busybugs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be visiting Florida for a few days in June and would like a recommendation for an operator in Crystal River. TIA.

I went with Bird's Underwater a couple years ago based on numerous recommendations here. They were excellent. They leave a little earlier than some other operations, which means you have some time with the manatees before everyone else shows up.

Before you go, check into whether you can actually see manatees in June. My understanding is that they only come into the springs in the winter months when the ocean cools off.

James

I went in August and saw a mum and her calf. When I say "saw", what I mean is that I could make out a shape but struggled to see which way was up half the time. "Crystal" clear the river ain't. Well not in August anyway

Will there be any manatees in the river in June? I know the river is filled with them in the winter when they search out the warmer spring water, but I thought they scattered in the summer. I'd recommend you call American Pro and/or Birds to see if a snorkel trip is ever worthwhile in June. By the way, you can't scuba with the manatees: with the exception that a dive into the Kings Cavern in the Crystal River allows you to exit the cavern into an area where manatees congregate, if they are around. Alternatives to Manatee snorkel trips include a drift dive (or snorkel) down the Rainbow River

Thank you for the suggestions. I have sent an email to American Pro and will also send one to Bird's Underwater. The decision will likely come down to starting times.

Just to "wrap up" this thread, I ended up going with Bird's Underwater. Within a few minutes (if even that long) manatees were spotted. Great experience and classy operation. Would love to visit again in the winter.

That's great. There are some around even through the summer, but sightings can be hard to come by. You were very fortunate to have good sightings in June. The winter can be unbelievable, if you can get down here when the air temp is really cold. Ideal is air temps in the 30s or 40s. Water temp of course stays around 70 in the springs at all times of year.

Hi

I'm also off to Crystal River later this year, early november :) I'm booked on a small snorkel tour with the manatees but have also been looking at the possibility of a dive while I'm there too. I'm going to check out Birds and see what else I can do with my time - great to get a recommendation!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom