Diving that time of month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am planning on diving some wrecks this summer. I figured it out and might have my"friend" at the same time. I was wondering is it safe to dive while having my period? If not what can be done to not get it?
Thank You,
Scubababe

I am planning on diving some wrecks this summer. I figured it out and might have my"friend" at the same time. I was wondering is it safe to dive while having my period? If not what can be done to not get it?
Thank You,
Scubababe

I don't think there will be any harm taking your "friend" with you. I wear a tampon while diving and swimming, no problems to report, other than some wicking sometimes. Just change when I get out. My daughter on the other hand does not wear a tampon and will use a pad and change it when she gets out. Our biggest fear with this method was when she removed her wetsuit and the pad was stuck in her neck seal, but that fear has not come true yet. If not bleeding heavy she has gone without any protection. As for stopping it, if you find something let us all know. You will be the richest woman on the face of the earth and the most loved. I have heard BC pills can and do stop it, but don't know this for sure. What I have since realized, is that if for some reason something happens such as leakage, there will not be a person on that boat that will laugh or think anything bad, as all of them are going thru the same thing. As for the guys, many have a wife that dive and they also understand what the issues are. If anything one of them would come to your aid. Just my thought on this. Anyways, I have yet to see a real sexy person coming to or from the water. We all look like hell.

The pill will allow you to skip it, but if you're not on it for any other reason, I guess you can decide if it's that important to you to go on it solely to avoid it with the possible side effects of the pill like weight gain and predisposition for certain conditions like blood clots and cancers.

This may be tmi, but I am on it for those purposes and it's great that I can plan it around trips.

from a physiology perspective
You may be at an increased risk of getting bent due to the blood loss and what not.
I'd be careful pushing NDL's and make sure you do a full precautionary stop before hand. Best thing would be for you to go talk to a diving physician though. Even calling DAN I'm sure would get you a better answer. My dive buddy dives through it and hasn't had a problem but she's in a drysuit so it's a little different

being that i come from a house full of women i learned a few things.BTW i have 7 sisters no brothers. here is a link to some info that i was reading on this mater. i was looking in to it for my wife and daughter. if they ask i wanted to be informed.

Risks of Women In Diving

My daughter did it, though free diving and snorkeling, on our summer vacation. There shouldn't be any issue unless you actually believe the BS that you may attract sharks by doing so.

As for blood loss, the average is about 35 milliliters, with an overall range from 10-80 milliliters, apparently. That volume of blood loss (approximately .025% of your blood) is unlikely to be significant enough to cause DCS issues. That said, I'm no doctor or DCS expert.

there's a zillion old threads on the subject. It's just not an issue.

If you are on the pill, just skip the last week of pills (which are essentially iron supplements) and start your next month. This will stop the cycle from beginning. There are several pills out there that only allow menstruation every three months. I know a couple of OB/GYN female docs that always skip the last week and never start the cycle or only allow it to happen a couple times a year.

I've done it several times. In fact it usually works out that my dive trip falls around the same time. Nice, huh? :yuck:

Back
Top Bottom