Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas – San Jose Del Cabo – Cabo Pulmo – La Paz - La Ventana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any idea what water temperature is like early in November in Cabo Pulmo and La Paz?

From our research November water will be in the high 70s and low 80s....BEST time of the year! When are you in Cabo? We are there 15-19 Nov in San Jose Del Cabo. I've heard that anything above a 3mm during that time (and at depth) will be overkill. I'll probably bring a skin and a 2.5mm shorty...just in case. Here is a site with historical temps Cabo San Lucas Weather and Climate

Reactions: drl
Thanks. We’ll be in Cabo Pulmo the first week in November and a few days in La Paz the following week.
Lighter exposure protection is always good, less lead needed, but I don’t like to be cold when doing multiple dives either!

Deb, I'm thinking that's you. Maren and I will be in 5 mms, but we're babies. We have the stretchy Henderson wetsuit so it's more like a 4 mm. We can't do the La Paz part of the trip, but we'll see you at O'Hare for the week in Cabo Pulmo. Great to dive with you two again.

Rob

Hello,
I am travelling to Baja California Sur in february for a Socorro scuba cruise and when back on land i decided to stay almost 1 week on land to do some more exploring.

Here comes the question:
my original plan was to dive in La Paz a couple days then move to cabo san lucas the last 2 days but after reading the guide i started lookin for Cabo Pulmo.
the choice is probably between diving La Paz mainly for the sea lions and the whale sharks or diving Cabo Pulmo for the Bull Sharks and the Schooling Jacks
Honestly the choice is pretty much dependant on the presence of the jacks (since i have been diving with bull sharks recently), in the guide you said that the season start in summer ending in december, so i was wondering if in february they are completely gone or just lower in numbers and still worth it
Another fast question,
I have read that sea lions should be present in Cabo Pulmo aswell, is at the same level as the diving in La Paz or not worth it?

Any first hand information is really welcome

Sorry for my poor english and thanks a lot for the help
Thor

No Jacks in February in Cabo Pulmo.
La Paz is the best for sea lions, the juveniles are the most playful and the sea lion colony with the most juveniles is Los Islotes in La Paz.

Thanks for the time & effort to turn out a knowledgable guide to help newcomers consider a destination that doesn't seem to have as much info. out there as, say, Cozumel or Bonaire. I've wondered about the region in a 'maybe someday' way, and I see need-to-know info. there. A few follow up questions...

1.) Are English-only folks likely to run into hassles at any of those places? Cozumel & much of the rest of the Caribbean are so heavily English-prevalent it's worth mentioning parts of mainland Mexico may not be so much.

2.) Of the animals you mention, some (e.g.: orcas & mako sharks) aren't species I hear much of showing up randomly on reef dives, but rather seem associated with excursions looking for them (in fairness, some probably prefer it that way!). Any idea of regional operators specifically target encounters with those? And is the whale watching from a boat, or do people often get in the water with them (dive or snorkel)?

Richard.

@drl how were your dives and the conditions in CB? I'll be there next week!!! :D

hello there!
I love diving but live in alaska and had enough of cold face while sheep herding the classes off Monterey bay. I think of myself as a relatively calm diver and have both PADI and NAUI certs. In my search for some diving on the west of the continent (as opposed to flying to the caribbean via 4 flights) I am venturing to Loreto this Thanksgiving holiday solo. Thus far, I have not heard back from dolphin dive baja after two attempts to contact. I have heard from tours loreto.
I arrive on Thursday afternoon and would love to get in a night dive that day as well as up to 3 tanks for friday and 2 tanks the morning of saturday as I fly out on Sunday afternoon.
I plan on bringing a shorty and my skin suit and renting the rest.
Any pointers of good company and dive sites would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom