Diving the Keys' Molasses Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ROUS I’m curious which dive op you used. I haven’t been diving on Molasses Reef in over 40 years, ‘81 was the last time. Thinking it’s time to get back.

Thanks for the video,

Erik

@ROUS I’m curious which dive op you used. I haven’t been diving on Molasses Reef in over 40 years, ‘81 was the last time. Thinking it’s time to get back.

Thanks for the video,

Erik
Hi Erik. Rainbow Reef made it easy. I wanted some time in that specific place and their online calendar booking system made it possible. Months before, I booked 2-tank dives on Molasses on consecutive days. After four dives in that area, I felt like I got to know it better.

Nice video and clear viz. Let us know how the trans-atlantic video's turn out!!

It's not dive related, but the video series has started. A look at the middle of the Atlantic. No ships. No birds. Just the occasional whale out there.

A look at the middle of the Atlantic.
W O W !! Look at those beautiful flat seas in the middle of the ocean. Stop the boat..We want to go swimming !!

It's not dive related, but the video series has started. A look at the middle of the Atlantic. No ships. No birds. Just the occasional whale out there.

So gorgeous ....BUT, creepy! I remember when in the Navy, heading across the pond was always weird. We weren't in a big battle group, just two other ships in our ARG (Amphibious Readiness Group) and sometimes, if they were out of LOS, it was DARK!! At least the cruise ship is lit up, but when there are just red lights on the inside of the ship and nothing else, it was definitely eerie!

Definitely on the bucket list to do Transatlantic on a cruise ship!

If you're ever in the Keys on a day when the current is really ripping at the deep wrecks, a cool alternative is to drift the edge of Molasses reef. There's a lot of terrain relief to dip down and hide from current when you want to stop and check things out.

It's a good intro to drift diving since it's pretty shallow (as opposed to Jupiter / WPB / etc.). Probably not something a cattle boat op will do, but the smaller operators with experienced captains can be convinced to give it a go.

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom