Diving The One and Only Niagara Falls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Try asking these guys: LINK
No where did I see these guys talking about it. I have been there, years before I was a diver, it doesn't even look like something you would want to attempt. Even if there is calm waters under the falls you have to get to them and I bet even then they are fairly deep.

Well, I'll be the trail diver for it, I have often thought about diving it, but always thought was a stupid thought and people would make fun of me. But I'm glad i'm not the only one that has thought of it.

Actually the upper and lower Niagra are very popular dive sites.
from Dans dive shop in St.Catherines (local shop that does guided dives of the Niagra)..

Niagara River:

"Many different Drift Dive sites are located in the Mighty upper Niagara River, including favourites such as: Frenchman's Creek, The Trainbridge, Thompson's Hole and for the thrill seeks a dive through the Peace Bridge, one of the Fastest dive in the area! In the Lower River Navy Hall makes for a nice drift with a little more depth 65ft max. A popular area for our Weekly Wednesday Night Dives througout the season. We also have "Hells Hole" which is a very fast and deadly dive only for the experienced technical diver."

Now hells hole from what I gather tops out somewhere in the neighbourhood of 200ft and I've hear currents of well over 10+knots. Not something I'd do anytime soon, but Thomspns hole is a sweet little hole that produces a nice wirlpool that you drift into then get sucked down to the bottom of the hole (around 60-70ft) then catch the exit current.
The vis really varies depending on weather but can get pretty good (50-60+ft).
THe main attacctions are basically ripping current, cars, small boats, and crap loads of very large fish.

Here is a video of a dive a Thomsons hole for an idea of what it's like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YCP73FivY&mode=related&search=

wow! That is incredible. Not for the faint of heart or grip, Lol.

I've dove the Niagara river before - it's a pretty decent drift dive. Don't know much about the falls, but I suspect they won't like you much being down there.

Allison Finch:
One question....... WHY!!!!?????

Too cold
Too little to see
Too much work
Too dumb

Gimme warm, clear, smooth tropical water, please.

To push the limits. Ever heard of Everest?

Actually, Allison, there's lots to see - it just goes by really quickly about five feet away from you in the 3.5 knot current :)

Of course, I'm talking about Niagara or St Lawrence Rivers in general, not Thompson's hole specifically where the current is a tad stronger.

Cold water current diving isn't for everyone, but those of us who like it, like it a lot!

Too cold? Cold is relative. Anything less than 7C/45F I would consider cold. Above that, summer rules are in effect.

Too little to see? You're probably not looking hard enough. Lots of interesting things have been found, including various artifacts from historical battles like muskets and such. Old bottles from years ago, and lots of other things.

Too much work? How much work is there when you're drifiting in a current?

Too dumb? Not sure what you mean by this.

But above all, it may be all we have around here as well. Typical viz around home for me is about 5 to 7 meters, a good day is 10+ meters. While I do enjoy warm tropical clear water diving, it's not something I get to do without significant travel. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom