Diving the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are thinking of diving the Speigel Grove but have never dove a wreck before. We're pretty comfortable in the water (in *tropical* waters), and we have the AOW certification (not that it means a whole lot).

Is there current around the Spiegel Grove?

Would we have to do a blue water ascent with no line? This is not something we have done before.

Thanks,

Bill

no blue water descent/ascent, there is a permanent mooring line that the boat will anchor to.

There is a fairly strong current, but is very manageable close to the deck. When I was there the current was going the wrong way and so we descended down the mooring line, drifted down current viewing the wreck, then had to go up current to get back to the mooring line. If this is the situation for you, need to plan gas accordingly since you will use more on the second half of the dive.

The current on the Spiegel Grove is usually pretty high. If you let go of the tag line on the boat at the surface, your chances of swimming back to the boat are not very likely on most days. If you are not used to this type of diving, perhaps a guide or a charter who is familiar with this dive would be in order. And if you know me, you know I hate charters.

When I go to the spiegelgrove, I either take my own boat or rent a boat. I motor out to one of several of the mooring lines on the surface. I tied my bow line to the mooring buoy and then I run a line from that bow line to the cleat on the back of the boat. That line runs a good 50' behind the boat. I jump off the boat fully geared, with mask and fins on, air turned on, ready to go with that line in my hand. DO NOT LET GO OF THAT LINE. I then follow that line hand over hand pulling myself slow but steady to the mooring line at the bow of the boat, then I follow that mooring line all the way down to the ship. DO NOT LET GO OF THAT LINE until you are touching the steel of the ship.

There is still usually quite a bit of current on the SG, but if you are good, you can shield yourself from it by positioning your body out of the flow. There is quite a bit to see from 80-100' and the sand is in about 137' of water. You definitely want a nitrox cert for this dive.

You can PM if you have any questions. I've been on the SG a bunch. I used to be a captain that frequented this sight almost daily.

Although a strong current is common, it is by no means guaranteed. I was on it the past February with no current whatsoever. Not only that, there were no other boats there when we were there. The captain moored to the stern line, and after everyone had descended, he moved to the bow line. We swam the entire wreck, from stern to bow. It was a great dive.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was teaching OW students over several days, and they did not do the SG because they were still completing their certification dives. Not only was there no current, the visibility was so fabulous that he was able to wave from the wreck to the students snorkeling above.

So that can happen, but don't count on it.

I had my first two dives on the SG a couple of months ago with a few SB friends. :wavey: Dive one was "sporty" with some pretty good swell and a strong current, similar to what Superlyte27 describes. Two days later it was closer to what Boulderjohn described.
It changes daily or even hourly according to out boat captain.
Enjoyable dive, hope you have the opportunity to dive it.

how timely this thread! just doubled on the SG this AM on my boat. just 2 other operators moored, SS minnow and horizion divers(7 divers total). ZERO current today, viz 70-80+ and water temp 79/80F, very benign conditions. bottom line; conditions on the deep wrecks are dynamic, listen and follow your captain/divemasters briefing and you'll have a blast(9 mooring buoys to choose from). i'll post a report w/pics later this evening.

reefman
key largo

Everyone's correct in that current be a challenge, but not always. The last time I dove it, the current changed during the dive, and when we dropped in, it was flat on the surface, then surfaced to 6 foot swells. Was a real hoot getting back on the boat with a DSLR rig. But, the dive was worth it. Great viz, dive, etc.

Current on the Spiegle changes daily if not hourly: I've dove it 6 times with virtually no current (including a 2 tank dive with Silent World two weeks ago) and two times with current that made divers looks like flags flapping in the wind on a flag pole when they descended on the mooring line: it was also difficult to keep masks clear on those two dives. If your dive boat ties off to the bow of the Grove, once you get down to the wreck stay really close to the deck (e.g. 12 inches) and you should be able to manage the current. Stay on the leeward side of any structure like the wheelhouse.

Make sure you have a safety sausage and a finger reel (or full sized reel), if you were to get blow off the wreck, you'd want your dive boat to be able to locate you asap. They won't be able to pick you up right away since they'll have to wait for all divers to surface, but they'll be able to see your sausage on the surface and see if you are drifting away from the dive boat and what direction the current is taking you.

Dove it with scooters in Jan for the first time and had a blast. Listen to your capt and hire a DM if it makes you feel more comfortable.

we remember! heres a pic i posted of your group that day, 1/3/13

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• sg16.jpg
    sg16.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 289
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom