Diving thru Swimmer's ear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Just went to the Doctor's today and she said I got the swimmer's ear infection. According to her, its not too bad of a case and she gave me some ear drop perscription.

My questions:

1) Should i be going into the water with Swimmer's ear ?? or should i wait till it is healed up.

2) How can i prevent swimmer's ear ?

3) If i get swimmer's ear constantly, will it hurt my hearing in the long run ?

:) I freaked out when this happened and was kinda relieved when she said its an ordinary case of swimmers ear.

Yeah, small scare but i really dont wanna be deaf.

1) "Should i be going into the water with Swimmer's ear ?? or should i wait till it is healed up."

Unless your physician specifically clears you for diving prior to resolution of the swimmer's ear, waiting until it is healed is the wise thing to do.

2) "How can i prevent swimmer's ear ?"

This thread discusses preventative measures ----> http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14259&highlight=swimmers+ear . Of course, I like my suggestions.

3) "If i get swimmer's ear constantly, will it hurt my hearing in the long run ?"

With proper care, you should not have swimmer's ear constantly, or even frequently.

As it is a condition of the external ear canal, with prompt & competent treatment it should pose no threat of hearing loss.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

SHould I get the doctors perscription ear drops if the situation (my ear) is already healing up ??

You might want to call the physician first thing in the morning, explain that you seem to be healing without the prescription, and ask how s/he suggests that you proceed.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom