Diving Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toastman

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am new to these forums and basically new to diving/spearfishing.

I just started doing it this summer in Lake St. Francis which is about 45 minutes from where I live in Montreal, Quebec. I bought a spear gun as well as a mask and fins. I've been having a great time there so far, as it is a very popular place among spear fisherman.

I haven't bought a wetsuit yet, but now that the water is getting cold, I have bo choice but to get one if I want to continue diving and spearfishing there (Darn Canadian winters :shakehead:).

I am asking you guys to please recommend me a suit that can handle water when the temperature outside is 0-15 degrees Celcius.

As for size of the suit, well I am 5'10 and 185 lbs. I don't really want anything too expensive, but I will also be needing gloves and a hoodie as well as a weight belt.

Thanks guys !!

your best bet might be to go with a drysuit. You can pack on a few layers of undergarments and be completely snug in the suit. Though, if you do follow my advice, please seek out training on the proper use of a drysuit from a certified instructor.

I dive a 7mil farmer john (14 mil on core) in those conditions here in Halifax NS. Lots of people use the 3 finger gloves but I hate them. I wear my 5mil 5 finger gloves. I don't do ice yet and prob won't unless I go dry. As for a hood, go with a 5mil and make sure it has a bib to tuck in.

Heh,
Go to you LDS for advice! Cos there will be a lot of mixed opinions here!
You can go dry, but it's expensive and you need a little training.

good advise so far but here is some other points.

1) price is allways a determing factor now adays, but see what the manufactor offer with the suit. some of them will waranty the seams for the life of the suit. if they come apart, the dive shop will send them back to be fixed.

2) you will hear some bebate between a 1 peice and 2 peice suit. they are both good investments, but at least with a 2 peice you can get away with just a top or bottom for a while if the water temps are not to bad. some people handle the cold water better then others ( i am a cold water sissy myself but loe diving in it )

3) as for hood and gloves, a three finger mitten will keep your hands warmer, but cuts down on dexteriaty some, where five fingers will provide more surface area for the water, and your hads will get chilled faster. a hood is good, but dont forget about a hooded vest. this is a 3 or 5 mil vest that has a hood attached to it. this will also add more neoprene to the core if you only get a one piece suit.

4) they make wet suits, and semi dry wet suits. the semi dry have a dry suit like zipper that helps keep the water out a little better them wet suit zippers. but they both allow water in.

5) as far as fit goes you will have to go shop around and try on different suits at some shops. all the manufactors have their own size charts ( close to the same size for all of them with slight differences ). as you are looking to buy this to stay warm you want a proper fit. i fall between a small and medium and cant just buy a medium all the time. go try them on and one you find one you like in the right price range, you can then go shop a round for the best price for that suit.

hope this helps out a little more and good like shopping

What Davidstealy said...spot-on. Yes, drysuits (plus a little training) necessitate a heftier initial investment than a wetsuit. However, the chances are very good that you'll end up forking out for a drysuit after a few winter-time dives with a new wetsuit. In other words, you'll end up paying more in the long run! I dive the Northeast in a semi-dry (although I've never dived during the winter months there), and even with a hood and gloves during the summer, it's not always comfortable. Moreover, you'll also have to contend with the wind-chill factor, which is another argument in favor of diving dry from the outset: you can pull up to your dive site in your civvies and all you have to do is pull on your long underwear and drysuit. No getting naked in the chill, no nothing. And when you finish your dive, you'll be grateful that you can just pull your clothes on over your drysuit underwear, if need be, and drive away. You will be much warmer for it. Wrestling with a wet wetsuit in winter conditions and trying to pull on your clothes while picking icicles out of your hair sounds distinctly un-fun.

I've also heard of folk getting excellent deals on drysuits, especially if they're shopping at the right time. Last year, Dive Rite was chucking out their older models of drysuits (at $900 each) to make way for new stock, which is a steal by anyone's definition. Keep your eyes peeled - visit websites like Dive Rite, Whites, and DUI regularly, as you never know the deals you might find.

I dive the 7mm Farmer John also (semi-dry) and it is quite comfortable for me in water down to 40F. Having said that, I'd switch to a drysuit in a hearbeat if I could afford it. The first dive of the day it doesn't matter, but putting a wet wetsuit back on for a second or third dive on a really cold day can really be a test of determination.

The other advantage to diving dry, is when you get out and the air temp is 0-10 C, you are much warmer as you aren't wet getting chilled. I have dove both dry and wet and dry is definitely more comfortable on the surface when it is very cold out. I like that aspect of the dry suit the best.

Those temps are going to require a very good wetsuit, with top quality neoprene like Wetware uses, Rubatex ... Wetwear - Design A Custom Wet Suit .. read what they have to say about neoprene

but if you can swing the investment, a drysuit is the way to go for those temps

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom