Diving while on antibiotics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I got a small cut on my leg just below the knee on a coral or rock reef in Hawaii that turned into a red area that was very slow to heal. (As of today, two weeks later, it's still red and hasn't closed up yet.) The knee joint near it started hurting a bit, so an M.D. put me on a 10-day course of Keflex today.

I'm booked to go out on a charter boat this Saturday (six days from now). The doctor didn't say anything about making any changes in activities, and I forgot to ask her specifically about diving. I wouldn't think that this would be a big problem, except (a) I know you're supposed to avoid sun exposure while on antibiotics, and (b) if the skin is still open I might be a little concerned about getting reinfected. On the other hand I hate to pass up this charter, as it's a special trip put together by a close friend. I suppose I could try to get in touch with the doctor to run this by her, but any general thoughts from folks here? Thanks in advance.

but if you were female and on the pill, it could be an issue...

But what of this wound? Is it weeping? I'd be worried more about contact with the wetsuit and sea water...ouch. Call your doctor.

The antibiotics don't mess with diving.
The open wound does increase risks.

Don't shortcut this one. Talk with your doc.

Some antibiotics cause people to be sun-sensitive, but this is not a common reaction to Cephalexin (Keflex).

Check with your doc about diving with an open wound.. The antibitic doesn't prevent a wound from getting infected.

No antibiotic works on all bacteria, and the ocean is a soup of poorly-studied microorganisms.
(If you want to fund a study of skin scrapes and infections, I'd be willing to buy some sandpaper and a ticket to Bonaire if the price were right.)

Short of completing that study (sigh) I'd have to caution you that there's a lot we don't know about marine bacteria and human immune systems.

Talk it over with your doc. If you do dive, dive intelligently to reduce risks.
(And for goodness' sake, don't forget to share the details so we can be envious until our next trips)

Dive carefully and enjoy it thoroughly;
John

been told that salt water is good for healing. Alot of dr will tell you to use sea salt to promote healing. Just food for thought

The Keflex is not a problem as far as diving goes for me. I've done several trips while on it.

The 'cyclene based drugs are bad about sun sensitivity though.

The real flag here is the coral wound that isn't healing! Coral has a very porus microstructure that holds bacteria and provides a surface for them to grow on. If the wound hasn't healed by now I expect that there is still some coral in it! Check with your MD and see if there is any way to check for a missing chunk or 5. X-ray will show larger pieces, but not the micro-fragments common in wound from a glancing blow. ANWHERE near a joint you'll want to have a thorough check run on it. The horror stories of those who have had a joint infected due to coral or urchin wounds should only happen to crooked politicians! Bringing the wound to an acid state will often dissolve the remaining micro-pieces, but soaking a wound in vinegar for an hour or so hurts like Hell Come to Earth! Check with your MD, with any luck he'll have a better suggestion.

Clean (read as blue water, not most coastal stuff) Seawater is a good irrigant for a wound, and a clean wound seems to heal faster if immersed in it regularly.

FT

As FredT says, you may very well have some fragments left in the wound. You might also try some irrigation with hydrogen peroxide. It won't disolve the particles as vinegar might, but the bubbling action can sometimes free up the particles mechanically.
Before going back in the water, you might want to consider using Band-Aide's new "Liquid Bandage" (ask your Doc), which is supposed to be waterproof.
Rick

... from everyone in this thread. I went in and saw my regular doc, who wasn't all that worried about my cut, although he did put me on a different antibiotic. For what it's worth he heartily endorsed diving Saturday (the antibiotic I'm on doesn't make people sun-sensitive, and even if my (shallow) cut is still open, he thought saltwater would be good for it). He didn't think there was even microscopic coral still present, and said that debraiding at this point would leave more of a scar, but said I could pursue that toward the end of the week if it isn't healing by then. (Always helpful to have a diver as one's family M.D.)

I did have a follow-up question about healing time of cuts, but thought I might post that in a fresh thread. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom