Diving while Trying to Conceive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The risks every keeps talking about come from breathing compressed air at depth. Snorkelling seems like a bit of a comedown if you can handle skindiving (breath-holding while diving to, say, 15ft or so). You would not be risking DCS or AGE and you could still have a good time practicing skills that come in handy with scuba after the child is born.

Well here is my two cents, I'm a mother of two myself so I've been in your position. I live in Grand Cayman and dive a lot. I stopped diving as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

I will tell you about a friends of our here, now 29 annd 32 years of age. Their mother was a dive master here in the early 70's..dove until she was 8 or 9 months pregnant...before they told you not too...Anyways her sons both turned out fine. I'm not saying to dive, just that I can't see it being a major problem.

I must say however, that if you have been trying for some time, you may not want to just because if there are any problems you may blame it on the diving you do early on. My sister miscarried after here honeymoon and she blames it on the drinking and the one resort course dive she did....she wasn't aware she was pregnant..

So I'm sure I haven't helped at all...sorry.

Tracy
Cayman Islands Discounts

Hello Ryanm:

Answers to questions are for information only and should in no way imply diagnosis or treatment. As you might imagine, we have had similar questions many times before and here is a very good answer from Martin Quigley, MD, one of our consultants on Diving Medicine Online.

"If you are planning a perfect holiday for diving, and you really want to try and conceive on your holiday, what do you do about the possibility of damaging the embryo?

Bottom line - you should probably go ahead and completely enjoy your dive trip. The reasons are multiple. First, a normal couple, actively trying to achieve a pregnancy, actually is successful only once in three or four months of trying to conceive - so the odds are that you won't get pregnant on this trip (although it's certainly not unlikely).

Second, the embryo does not actually attach to the wall of the uterus for about seven days, receiving its nourishment from fluids secreted by the Fallopian tube and uterus. Even though attachment to the wall of the uterus occurs about a week after ovulation, it is later in pregnancy (at least another week to ten days) before there is any effective maternal-placental blood circulation. The major theory for the cause of fetal malformations associated with diving concerns the possibility of transfer of intra-vascular bubbles from mother to fetus. As there is no effective circulation in the earliest stages of pregnancy we are considering, this is possible cause is not a concern.

Third, many thousands of women have been diving unknowingly at the same early stage of pregnancy you might be in - there is no evidence of an increase in miscarriages or other problems in these women who have been diving around the time of conception. In fact, before pregnant women were advised not to dive, several studies looked at women who dived throughout pregnancy. Although we no longer recommend diving during a recognized pregnancy, there is no solid scientific data to prove that diving is dangerous to the fetus.

Finally, the very early embryo is still composed of cells which have not yet undergone differentiation - that is, one cell isn't destined to be the heart, another the left arm, etc. If any single cell is damaged at this  very early stage of pregnancy, other cells can "step in" to form the needed structures. Only later, after differentiation, will damage to a single cell likely result in an abnormality. "

Best regards for safe diving!

scubadoc

Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com/

I think it's also important, should you decide to go diving, to check with a diving doc about the medications you take. Many medications are NO NO for dive.

:anon:

Diving while trying to conceive is extremely difficult. Your equiptment keeps getting in the way and you can have your second stage knocked out of you mouth causing a diving emergency. Also, it should NEVER be tried while wearing a drysuit. It can void the manufacturers warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom