diving with Aqua Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY:
I do plan on bringing my weight belt plus my integrated weights just incase I need them. I'll probably start off with 20 and that should be fine. My soft weight belt is very comfortable to wear. Comfort is very important specially if diving in a area that I am not too familiar with.:wink:

Of course, suit yourself. I was just pointing out that you needn't haul all that lead down there. I'm traveling with three women, and "traveling light" is not in the vocabulary as it is. FWIW, using furnished weight has never been a problem or discomfort for me, and I've seen few if any divers on the boats in Cozumel bringing their own.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention whatsoever to cast blame on anyone or to flame or offend anyone, but rather to educate and offer some reflection of what did or didn't go wrong on this dive gerald describes. Of course I wasn't there, but AS has an impeccable safety record and their divemasters are extremely competent. Gerald, I am not picking apart your post for the sake of nitpicking. I just think that it will be easier to respond to comments individually.

As a charter boat operator who is very familiar with the protocols followed in Coz, here is what I think:
geraldp:
...Our first dive was on Columbia Deep. The only thing the DM told us was 1) dont go below 80 ft, 2) signal me when you get to 1000psi and I'll inflate a lift bag and we'll get off the wall, then signal me again at 750psi, then we'll go up, and 3) if you go OOA come to me, not your buddy.
Sounds like a no fluff, but fairly thorough briefing telling you the parameters of the dive. Perhaps he could have been clearer on ascent procedures. If you are ever unclear of procedures before you enter the water...ASK! It is the DM's duty to make sure you are clear on all procedures including entry, exit, decent and ascent procedures.
geraldp:
...Two of us were underweighted, and we flailed around using up most of our air trying to get down...
If this was your first dive of the trip, I suspect that you weren't necessarily underweighted, but your equipment, particularly your wetsuit was dry and not soaked. It is not uncommon at all for divers to have a little difficulty getting down on the first dive of the trip, but adding more weight is not the answer, unless of course you had trouble staying at the safety stop too...this would be an indicator that you were underweighted. Also, if you really were “flailing around” like you described, you will never get down. The key to descending is to relax and exhale deeply and sink slowly. The more you are moving and fighting it, the harder it is going to be to get down.

You said that you started with 18 and he added another 4. 18#’s sounds appropriate based on the wetsuit you were wearing and your size. I suspect that once your wetsuit was fully soaked, you didn’t really need that extra 4#’s.
geraldp:
I flashed to the DM when I was at 1000psi (he did nothing), then again at 750, and the DM slowly inflated a surface bouy, then stayed there at 80 feet. Not knowing that his plan was to stay with the more advanced divers, I became more and more alarmed (and repeatedly flashed my SPG to the DM) until finally when I got to about 450 psi I decided to surface by myself.
You NEVER need the DM's permission to ascend. When the divemaster asks you to signal him at 1000psi, it is so that he has a mental note of your air consumption rate. He uses this to calculate how much longer you will be able to dive and how he should handle the dive profile from that point on. 1000psi is certainly no need for alarm and no need to rush to the surface. The 750 psi mark lets him know it's time to start a nice slow ascent. Again, this is plenty of air to do a normal ascent, and a nice safety stop with about 300psi + to surface with. Keep in mind that as you get shallower, your breathing consumption rate is alot less as well and 750psi at 15-20 ft will last plenty long for a proper safety stop. He HAS to inflate the buoy slowly, otherwise it will pull him up very fast. As small as they are, surface buoys have lift power and can be dangerous if not used properly.
geraldp:
My one buddy who was also low on air was using rental gear, and didn't know how to read his computer. He ended up going OOA, but since the DM was no where near he shared with another diver.
Hate to say it, but this is a 100% error on your dive buddy’s part. If he did not know how to read his computer, he should have asked the DM for a brief explanation. Secondly, dive computers rented by shops are not air integrated and have nothing to do with tank pressure. He should have been reading and monitoring his SPG for tank pressure regularly. OOA situations are almost always diver error…from not paying attention to their SPG.

You say the divemaster was nowhere near. The divemaster is leading the dive, and it is your responsibility to stay with him. If you go below him, ahead of him, or go off on in another direction, that is not the divemasters fault. This is where a certain amount of diver responsibility and buddy contact comes in. Even though the divemaster said he would share air with a low on air diver, this does not mean that you cannot donate air to your dive buddy if the divemaster is not within reach. Divemasters are GUIDES and are there to help if needed. If you are expecting a divemaster to be directly by your side throughout the dive, to check your guages and computer for you, and to control your ascents and descents, I HIGHLY recommend that you hire a private divemaster at least for the first day of your trip. It will cost a little more, but isn't your safety worth it? As a certified diver, you assume the risks involved with scuba diving and you assume responsibility for yourself.
geraldp:
When my two buddies and I finally surfaced after our safety stop the DM stayed down with the more advanced divers for another 30 minutes.
Aqua Safari is a very conservative shop and does not do extended bottom times. Their dives rarely exceed 50 minutes. Are you saying that you surfaced after 20 minutes? Regardless, the other divers should not be expected to surface because you and your buddy ran low on air so early in the dive. You will appreciate this as your air consumption improves and you are able to stay down longer as well. Per marine park standards, the DM cannot leave divers alone in the water regardless of their experience level.
geraldp:
So clearly my two buddies and I screwed up royally for not taking care of each other properly, and we were fortunate enough to survive.
Yes, you are correct here. Buddy systems are in place for a reason. However, it doesn’t sound to me like you were in true danger of dying in this case, unless of course you had totally failed to check your gauges and act accordingly. Again, you are responsible for yourself and making your own decisions underwater. If you are low on air, you do not need permission to surface…but don’t forget to do it safely.
geraldp:
However a portion of the blame has to go to the dive op and the DM for 1) mixing newbies in with more advanced divers
I don't agree. Sometimes this simply cannot be avoided. There are a lot more considerations for matching up divers than you are probably aware of.

Perhaps to you these divers seemed very experienced, but may have actually been closer to your experience level than other divers with the operation that day.
OR
Maybe the other boats were full with groups that could not/did not want to be spilt up. There are a plethora of considerations that go into scheduling the boats, particularly for larger operations that deal with walk-ins and deal with a high volume of customers.

The ONLY way to guarantee you will be grouped with divers of your exact experience level is to assemble your own group and charter the boat for your group OR hire a private divemaster. We (dive ops) cannot send out a separate boat for every single level of diver…that would be impossible and impractical. We have to match divers the best we can as closely as we can. When you are booking a dive trip on a public charter, you take these chances.

Also keep in mind, that most people have very inflated egos regarding their dive skill level. I see it every single day from OW level divers to instructor level divers. Just today I had a call from a non-certified diver claiming to be an experienced diver because he has done several resort dives over the years. Sorry folks, that is a beginner by any definition.
geraldp:
...By telling us that he would be our buddy during the dive I completely ignored my two friends who were my real buddies (again this part was mostly our fault for not following our basic training).
The divemaster is everyone’s buddy when diving as a group. I am certain that it was not his intention to have you ignore or abandon your buddy. Again, he probebly could have been more clear on this. Some of it is the fact that they don't have a 100% command on the English language.
geraldp:
...but I had not zeroed in my bouyancy.
Buoyancy control takes practice and no one is expected to be perfect on their first ocean dive, or even their 10th. Your buoyancy will actually need fine tuning anytime you change dive environments, and even within the same environment. Sometime I need to add 2 #’s to my weighting, and sometimes I need to take off 2#’s in the same water, with the same gear configuration.
geraldp:
...this was my first dive (outside of the pool) that I was using my new BC, reg, & computer...
It would have been a very good idea for you to have done a check-out dive with an instructor to adjust your weighting and get a feel for your new equipment and the new diving environment.
geraldp:
re: gear rental...I would recommend either taking the plunge and buying ones own gear, or renting gear from your local LDS and travelling with it. This excludes tanks and weights, obviously, as they are always included in the cost of your dives in Cozumel.
This depends 100% on the operator you are diving with. My rental equipment is in new condition and very well taken care of. It is regularly serviced and “retired” after 100 dives or earlier if necessary.

Well, I hope this gave you and others some things to reflect on and think about before your next dive trip.

Christi:
Disclaimer: It is not my intention whatsoever to cast blame on anyone or to flame or offend anyone, but rather to educate and offer some reflection of what did or didn't go wrong on this dive gerald describes.
OK I won't take it as a flame. I've posted here 2-3 times on my experience last February with Aqua Safari, and have been very careful to not blast them for what I felt was mostly our fault. However when Stogey asked specifically for recomendations on AS, I cautiously recommended against them, giving as much detail as I could so he could make up his own mind.

Realize that most of all our previous (and precious few) dives had all been with a dedicated Dive Master, and I incorrectly assumed that my DM with Aqua Safari would be similar type of deal.

Being new to Cozumel and drift diving in general, I had no idea as to the general practice of deploying a lift bag for the "hoovers" and continuing to stay down with the others. I also didn't know to ask more details on the predive brief. I had no problem with him staying down there, and was glad that the others got their moneys worth - HOWEVER when I repeatedly showed the DM my guage it would have been nice for him to at least acknowledge me, then signal me that I should grab my buddies and ascend together. That would have made things a lot more clear to me. That's the primary reason why I wouldn't dive with them again.

As to my OOA buddy - he shouldn't have been there in the first place. I found out later he was on chemo medication, and we observed him do several VERY stupid things later that week.

Christi:
Divemasters are GUIDES and are there to help if needed.
yes I learned that day that DM does not stand for Dive Mama!

Jerry

geraldp:
OK I won't take it as a flame. I've posted here 2-3 times on my experience last February with Aqua Safari, and have been very careful to not blast them for what I felt was mostly our fault. However when Stogey asked specifically for recomendations on AS, I cautiously recommended against them, giving as much detail as I could so he could make up his own mind.

Realize that most of all our previous (and precious few) dives had all been with a dedicated Dive Master, and I incorrectly assumed that my DM with Aqua Safari would be similar type of deal.

Being new to Cozumel and drift diving in general, I had no idea as to the general practice of deploying a lift bag for the "hoovers" and continuing to stay down with the others. I also didn't know to ask more details on the predive brief. I had no problem with him staying down there, and was glad that the others got their moneys worth - HOWEVER when I repeatedly showed the DM my guage it would have been nice for him to at least acknowledge me, then signal me that I should grab my buddies and ascend together. That would have made things a lot more clear to me. That's the primary reason why I wouldn't dive with them again.

As to my OOA buddy - he shouldn't have been there in the first place. I found out later he was on chemo medication, and we observed him do several VERY stupid things later that week.

yes I learned that day that DM does not stand for Dive Mama!

Jerry

Gerald,

Like I said, I was not criticizing you, just pointing out that much of the responsibility ultimately lies on the diver in these types of situations. I am not defending AS necessarily, just providing an insiders perspective. I only had the information in this thread to refer to...I haven't seen your other threads on this topic.

I am also not suggesting that you not share your experiences and opinions, but likewise, you should not expect others not to comment on them.

I agree that the DM should have acknowledged you, no question about that...but in the future, if you find yourself (or if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation)don't wait until you are almost out of air to ascend. As I said, he could have been more clear to these procedures in the briefing. If you and other divers were not clear on the procedures, then clearly he was not thorough enough in his briefing, and that matters. It is a very important component of the DM's role.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this so that anyone reading this that finds themselves in a similar situation will have some idea of how to handle it...again not to criticize, scold, or defend anyone.

Anyway, I am glad that your last trip to Coz was more enjoyable and I hope that you continue to have positive experiences here or wherever you dive.

Peace :)

I did my first coz dives with Aqua Safari and had a blast, it was a group trip with my lds and we had a boat all to ourselves, but it was a blast. the dm's were great, and we never had to wait long to get picked up after a dive.

Want to take my dive bennie off to you.

I have my AOW and about 50+ dives (never know how to count quick up and down dives in lakes) under my belt with many in the tropics. BUT, I do not think I have ever seen someone so clearly state the responsibility lines on a dive with a DM after certification before.

Am currently planning a dive trip, and given it has been some time (12 months) since my last "real" dive I still get butterflies worrying about the first dive. I usually try to shore dive the day we get there to get things dialed back in and that helps a great deal.

Anyways back to topic. I think MANY people think that the DM is everyones personal trainer until they get 25+ dives in different conditions. I'm sure you see that, and I admire you dive masters and the work you do.

Absolutely no offense taken, and I wouldn't have posted here if I wasn't expecting feedback. Thank you Christi for your perspective.

Jerry

My wife and I dove with AquaSafari 7 times over an extended Labor Day weekend this year and really enjoyed it.

It was our first set of Dives after Certification. We did the refresher course to get over jitters (our certification was done in 1-3' visibility (pea soup) in a Missouri lake that was having an algae bloom at the time). The instructor emphasized to us in the classroom portion that we were certified divers and we were responsible for our dives -- not the dive master.

There were usually 10-12 divers on the boat (morning 2 tank)and a mixture of experience. My wife and I and 2 others were newly certified and the other group were quite experienced.

On the deeper dives, we newbies usually surfaced together and the others stayed down longer. There were usually 2 dive masters for the 2 tank morning trips. I did have one dive where I called my dive (about 1400psi left) and surfaced early with only my wife. I was fighting a strong current on the Villa Blanca Wall and just didn't have the skills/experience to easily stay back with the others (also, I think I sucked in too much exhaust on the boat). When I began to feel fatigued and realized I wasn't enjoying the dive, I knew it was time to call it. We were a bit too far away (given the current) to get much help from the DMs, so we signalled each other, did a safety stop, and surfaced. The boat was right there and everyone else stayed down for awhile ( 20 minutes) longer.

I thought the DMs were all great. From my limited experience, I just have to believe understanding you're responsible for your own safety is the key. Sure, I would expect DMs to help if possible, but, I wouldn't plan on it.

Oh, btw, I really love the 100'+ visibility and really can't see myself doing much lake diving around here. My wife and I are headed back in January.

STOGEY:
Has anyone here ever dove with Aqua Safaree? I'm going to Cosumel in about 4 weeks, have read their site on a daily basis and they seem to be pretty good.
Just got back from Coz where I stayed at the Vista Del Mar (next to Auqa Safari) I dove with "Dive with Martin", but visited with folks at A.S. quite a bit and visited their shop several times. Their DMs and Instructors were always nice to me and the folks I talked to that were diving with them seemed happy with the dive operation. The instructors were quite busy giving "resort scuba courses" to folks at the pier and they normally had no more than two or three folks at a time, which is a pretty good instructor to student ratio. (They worked right outside the balcony of my room so I saw them a lot.) If I had not used Martin previously I would probably have gone with them. They seemed to be a pretty good outfit. Their hotel also has nice rooms and reasonable rates, but my wife preferred the view from the Vista Del Mar.

So far most of the replys are fairly positive about Aqua Safari. I do think that my first dives in Cozumel will be at the water park just to get myself a little initiated to the area. Not being thoroughly used to drift diving, I think I can practice my bouyancy control myself and enjoy the reef at the same time, without hollding anyone back when i do go on a boat dive. The name of the park is Chankanaab I think, and from what I understand its just like a regular beach, and you can basically walk right in.

I do take alot of resposnability for my own safety and competency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom