Diving with gopro attached to poles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonOh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

So far I have been using an xshot pole that I can screw my gopro to. But two complains with that one. First it is heavy since the entire thing is made out of some sort of metal. Second, and most importantly, the tripod screw often comes undone when I'm underwater so I'm always trying to tighten it.

What other poles are you guys using? I found the GoPole Reach to be what I'm looking for, but it says that it is only water resistant. Any idea why? I like how it can extend to 40" and will float.

Thanks...Jon

Hi,

So far I have been using an xshot pole that I can screw my gopro to. But two complains with that one. First it is heavy since the entire thing is made out of some sort of metal. Second, and most importantly, the tripod screw often comes undone when I'm underwater so I'm always trying to tighten it.

What other poles are you guys using? I found the GoPole Reach to be what I'm looking for, but it says that it is only water resistant. Any idea why? I like how it can extend to 40" and will float.

Thanks...Jon
This is what I use. 2 years now. Small, light. It does tend to turn on you a little, but it' nice to be able to put in your shorts pocket.
Amazon.com: FastCap iPole Mini Adjustable Camera Pole 9 to 39 Inches: Sports & Outdoors

Extend-A-Pole Mono Pod

meap_sml.jpg

i am using the aquapod from sealife
It comes with a gopro mount and standard tripod

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Winchester shooting stick from WalMart! It's 9 bucks and is super light weight. I use a small caribeener to click on a d ring. The rest unscrew and it has a tripod screw.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=6D521FF558A1C3938C1CD856D63B5331#ip/Winchester-Shooting-Stick/16662943

well, I'd go for a more steady thing than a pole. The SRP-rig, ikelite twohands-rig or similar is more stable. Its a bit bigger than a pole but you also can mount lights on it.
Or you can even make one yourself if you are a bit handy. Check the "Show your mount" -tread.

Shot this entire video with the GP on an X shot. GoPro HD Diving UTILA, Bay Islands.avi - YouTube

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the xshot and my two complains with it are: it is heavy and the tripod screw often comes undone. I have had to dive down to retrieve my sinking gopro past my safety depth once. I probably should have used a floaty for that, but I still rather not have to constantly tighten it.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

well, I'd go for a more steady thing than a pole. The SRP-rig, ikelite twohands-rig or similar is more stable. Its a bit bigger than a pole but you also can mount lights on it.
Or you can even make one yourself if you are a bit handy. Check the "Show your mount" -tread.

Thanks for your reply. What is a SRP-rig?

I have used one of those cheap mono pods on eBay that I broke off at the first segment and then taped it to a PVC pipe. Buoyancy is perfect as it fills with water and carrying it was effortless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom