Diving with gopro attached to poles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

So far I have been using an xshot pole that I can screw my gopro to. But two complains with that one. First it is heavy since the entire thing is made out of some sort of metal. Second, and most importantly, the tripod screw often comes undone when I'm underwater so I'm always trying to tighten it.

What other poles are you guys using? I found the GoPole Reach to be what I'm looking for, but it says that it is only water resistant. Any idea why? I like how it can extend to 40" and will float.

Thanks...Jon

Hi Jon,

I use a QuickPod-model DSLR and I LOVE IT! All you need to make it compatible is the Tripod attachment from GoPro. I can extend it about 5 feet which lets me get close up video of some skiddish aquatic life and I can easily fit myself in the picture/video frame. Some advice with using poles that I have learned the hard way, it is not a great thing to bring on beach dives with lots of turbulent sand. I have found that sand gets into the grooves of the pole and it is hard to adjust. Right now, I cannot adjust the knob at the top which adjusts the angle so I have to change the angle using the GoPro instead (hope that makes sense, I don't know how to put it another way). Lastly, the wrist lanyard isn't too durable so I would zip tie it on so it doesn't break off. Overall, I really like mine. I think SeaLife also sells the EXACT same thing for around $70, you can also buy it on Amazon.com.
Gopro Telescopic Pole Mounts For Cameras, Tripods & Diving

Hi Jon,

I use a QuickPod-model DSLR and I LOVE IT! All you need to make it compatible is the Tripod attachment from GoPro. I can extend it about 5 feet which lets me get close up video of some skiddish aquatic life and I can easily fit myself in the picture/video frame. Some advice with using poles that I have learned the hard way, it is not a great thing to bring on beach dives with lots of turbulent sand. I have found that sand gets into the grooves of the pole and it is hard to adjust. Right now, I cannot adjust the knob at the top which adjusts the angle so I have to change the angle using the GoPro instead (hope that makes sense, I don't know how to put it another way). Lastly, the wrist lanyard isn't too durable so I would zip tie it on so it doesn't break off. Overall, I really like mine. I think SeaLife also sells the EXACT same thing for around $70, you can also buy it on Amazon.com.
Gopro Telescopic Pole Mounts For Cameras, Tripods & Diving

Thanks! I think the tripod that I have been using is similar to the quickpod. Mine only extends to 4ft. My main gripe with it is the tripod mount. I notice that I can't tighten it enough and I find myself tightening it frequently underwater. I have replaced that tripod screw and the gopro tripod mount twice too, because I did get some sand inside it. But I just can't seem to figure out why it comes loose underwater. I found this GoPole that uses the standard GoPro slide and lock mount. It will be alot more secure. Not sure if anybody out there has used it yet.

GoPole REACH - GoPro® Telescoping Extension Pole by GoPole

I purchased the Sealife Aquapod yesterday at Beneath the Sea for $69. I like that it extends to 53 inches. It comes with both a regular camera tri mount and a GoPro mount. Have not used it yet-but appears that it will work well.

I purchased the Sealife Aquapod yesterday at Beneath the Sea for $69. I like that it extends to 53 inches. It comes with both a regular camera tri mount and a GoPro mount. Have not used it yet-but appears that it will work well.

That looks like what I'm looking for. I'll look more into it. Thanks for your reply.

One of our group used the Sealife Aquapod on a recent trip to CocoView, Roatan. It makes the critters much less "gun shy" than coming at them with a face full of camera and bubbles. He got some good shots by angling the Gopro backwards on the pole and getting behind a seahorse with the water surface and sunshine as the background.

I'm about to order one myself since I got a GoPro for Christmas. Got to get ready for Bonaire in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom