Diving with hangovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same as the thread related to diving with cold symptoms. When the morning comes, guess what, it's time to dive. Hung over, tired, bored, cold symptoms what ever. That's just the way it is. Everyone gets to decide that for themselves.
the same? not quite. Decision to make in all those cases, sure. But you have (hopefully) some control over getting soused.

Here's a timely, New Year's Day, topic -- Diving with hangovers

As many of us dive on vacations we inevitably stumble into a dive shop or onto a boat with a ripping hangover.

Any surefire hangover remedies?

I remember in the Philippines a dive instructor would take a mix 40% Nitrox for a shallow, warm water dive in the morning and claim that was the best cure.

I once did a freezing 45 degree cold water dive -- in a 7 mm wet suit -- with a horrible hangover. The cold water worked and at splash down it was gone.

But for me, it has just been the Gatorade or banana shake to clear the head and make the early morning dive.

What are your cures? Any are there any serious health worries from diving with a hangover? We're taught that dehydration can increase risk of decompression illness. Anyone here of a case of the bends where a hangover was a real factor?

SIMPLE--Don't drink! :no

"All things in moderation." -Socrates

A person can relax with a couple of beers after the day's diving is done, without any ill effects. Just as I wouldn't advocate getting sloppy drunk and diving hungover, neither would I advocate complete abstinence.

I wonder if they sell the halos some people seem to wear, through LeisurePro or ScubaToys. I'm going to have to get me one of those. I hope it won't clash with my dive gear, though...

:shakehead:

Noticed that, too OceanObsessed. Heck Fish_Whisperer, I wouldn't recommend abstinence before diving either. I just don't drink before diving!

Howdy, Bill. I wasn't talking about THAT kind of abstinence! :lol:

With regards to alcohol, people have turned it into some kind of religious fundamentalism, or something. "I'm DIVING in the morning!! Not one drop of alcohol shall pass my lips this eve!!"

Puh-lease...

Of course, I wouldn't start my morning off with a beer, and I don't drink alcohol during the surface interval between dives, either. After the day's diving is done? A glass of scotch, a couple of beers.... Big deal. On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I drank enough to be intoxicated, either.

There's a such thing as being a responsible adult. This seems to be something that is being abdicated in favor of, "OMG!!! I can't have a single drink!! I'm DIVING in the morning!!!"

My thought is, such people wouldn't be much fun to dive with or hang out with, anyway. In the afternoon or evening, after the day's dives are done, one beer, two... Big deal. Typical of ScubaBoard though, everyone has to make mountains out of every mole hill. Such is the nature of the internet...

The original question was not about diving after a few drinks, it was diving with a hangover. I don't know about you, but I don't get a hangover from a few drinks...the OP implied that the previous night's activities would include moderate-heavy drinking.

...With regards to alcohol, people have turned it into some kind of religious fundamentalism, or something. "I'm DIVING in the morning!! Not one drop of alcohol shall pass my lips this eve!!"

I do happen to know a technical instructor or two who believe in this very notion, however, for deco diving.

For NDL, 1 or 2 drinks per evening should not be a problem, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom