Diving with one arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prestonhf01

Registered
Reaction score
i was born with only my right arm and down to my elbow on my left and i was wondering i have been certified is there any way to defleate bcd with out crossing over because i find speed in doing to is harder with only my right hand crossing over...

The only thing I can suggest is using your dump valves on the right side. That's if your BCD is so equipped. You'd lose some finesse in trimming...

After a few dozen dives I find that I don't need to quickly trim my buoyancy like I used to. Maybe you just need some dives dedicated to buoyancy control only.

Sea ya!

PS What's your avatar?

Get I BC that has a dump on the right shoulder and swap the inflater valve to the right side.

I know a guy who has just one real arm and an interchangable arm. He uses a different prostetic for different activities. He owns a boat which he captains himself and has been diving for quite a while. I can give you his e-mail addy if you want.

Melissa

jtivat:
Get I BC that has a dump on the right shoulder and swap the inflater valve to the right side.

Will that affect the hose routing from the 1st stage?

I'd loosen where the inflator screws into the BC, rotate it so it point to your right instead. Screw back down, and run it on your right side.

Jason B:
I'd loosen where the inflator screws into the BC, rotate it so it point to your right instead. Screw back down, and run it on your right side.

I have a Mares BC that has a pull dump on the right shoulder. In theory, I should be able to swap the inflator hose with the pull dump and have a right handed BC.

Regardless of the how you convert your BC, just be careful of the hose routing.

I too dive with only one arm...well I dive with and sometimes without my prostetic arm.
I would enjoy talking to you and see what information we might be able to share with each other. As for me it certainly as been a life filled with...adapting improvising and overcoming.

Are you familiar with the back plate & wing? At least the one manufactured by DSS has the inflator mount in the center of the wing. It would be easy to swing it over to the right. Give Tobin a call, I bet he could work something out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom