Diving with sciatica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an old thread I know, but it comes as close as I could to what I am faced with. This is a compressed cervical disc making it still allowing me to scuba dive with caviot. I got a gorilla brand large wagon an pickup truck. Everything has to be taking longer than back in 1980 to 2017. Certified in 1980 and seeked help with disc problem in 2017. The wagon loading and unloading plus egress land to water is only done by getting wagon to assemble everything near waters edge. All works out OK as I have dove off small boats where you teather equipment floating by bc inflated and slip in while in the water. Mostly with a sense of where stuff is and then unclip an go down the ankor line. OK fine, just finding a buddy to dive with when either they passed on or only do warm water diving. I switched to drysuit diving in the 1990's. Also, I'm not going to ask a buddy to carry my gear, just the extra time it takes me to dive now that this is so. Looking for what has been for others on how to match up with a buddy in similar cercumstanses. I would dive with another person with a disability on par with mine, but more than that I would feel uncomfortable.

My buddies are damned good about helping when I need it. Often they offer when I’ve not asked. If someone wants to move my tanks, I’m not going to refuse help! It’s actually more due to my bad knees than the sciatica. I have a cart for my tanks, but some dive sites have large, loose gravel that makes pushing the loaded cart uphill after a dive difficult. I often buy lunch if we hit a restaurant after diving or pick up the tab the next time we meet.

It is a battle. Pilates has been life changing. Also bring married to an incredible DPT is good as well. I haven’t had any issues in a decade then did beck to back rotator cuff surgeries and did not have the ability to stay on my back exercise routine, so struggling now but working through it again.

It is a battle. Pilates has been life changing. Also bring married to an incredible DPT is good as well. I haven’t had any issues in a decade then did beck to back rotator cuff surgeries and did not have the ability to stay on my back exercise routine, so struggling now but working through it again.
Thanks for the reply. The wagon tires have a large foot print and are good in sand. Only if I need to go across much sand I look for more compact sand areas. Hills really I have to avoid. I have had nothing really helping the condition but medicine that does not work to well, until like after 4 hrs being up and moving around. What I mean is more extreme exertion before up several hours will not work out well. Strangely I find if driving I have little or no pain. Though when I stop driving and if I have to be standing and not moving about, it triggers pain. Keeping warm I know is key. I did try electric heated dry suit demo years ago before the bulging disc, but I am doing fine just using dry suit with 2 way stretch Polar Guard. Early morning dives would not work for me. A warm shower in the morning with all gear already gathered night before I know helps too. Inversion table I use and have done that to help. Some electric motorized cart I saw was impressive, cost also, wow. Still if I had it, I would require a larger vehicle. Wishing you both well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom