Diving with the Great Whites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cfisher,
are you guaranteed to see the sharks as this is just one of my ambitions!! Great photos by the way!!
cheers
Mike

Mike,

No one will absolutely guarantee that you will see sharks, but I have gone three years in a row and have seen sharks everytime so far. Last year, there were times when you could see five Great Whites from the cage at one time (below and at a distance). However, there were a couple of times when two would approach the cage fairly close together. The last trip I took (last Oct.), we had sharks almost solid for three days. I don't remember having one dive rotation without at least one shark!! It is definitely and incredible trip.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos!

Christie

Hey does anyone know a reputable dive operator in dyre island for a dive package to see the sharks? Just gathering info so I can plan a trip.

Andre Hartmann free dives with GWS down in South Africa. About 12 years ago he took Jean-Michel Cousteau out to free dive with them and JMC caught a ride on the dorsal fin of one GWS. A friend of mine from the Czech Republic heads down to South Africa during the northern summer when she isn't teaching school and knows Andre and his family very well.

My trip to Guadalupe back in 2005 was on a scientific expedition with Dr. Michael Domeier who was at that time darting satellite tags onto the GWS to track them. Dr. Guy Harvey was filming in one cage and I was filming in the other. Guy used some of my footage in his TV show on the great whites. Wyland was my dive buddy the day the 14 foot GWS swam by us. We were filming giant sea bass off Catalina at the time.

I too am obsessed with Great Whites! I've heard mixed things about South Africa though. A dive buddy of mine said that the water was cold, low visibility, had rough seas, sharks were small and it was super expensive. He told me that Guadalupe Island in Mexico was by far the best place to see them! He said the sharks were super big and overall the best diving of his life. I am going to go there when I save up the money, hope that helps! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom