Diving with torn (detached) Achilles tendon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorref

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While not a true disability, I wanted to pass on my recent experience in diving w/ a detached achilles tendon; I had torn it in May but didn't find out until 2 weeks before a trip w/ my daughters to the Bahamas last month.
Rather than reschedule everything I opted to give it a try; I was still walking and able to climb stairs, though not as well as I would have liked to.
Swimming wasn't a problem, even had to do a long surface swim; the only issue I had was climbing the ladder onto the boat, and I just took a little more care when doing it to make sure I wasn't over-stressing anything.
All in all I had a great week - both daughters got OW certified with Grand Bahama Scuba (Fred and Melinda do a wonderful job, and I highly recommend them), and I got more diving in before my surgery!

HTH,
KevinL

Thank you for sharing. I wouuld have suggested donning and removing your scuba gear the water so you are clinbing the ladder with only your own body weight, less stress on the affected leg. It is also eaiser to shift your weight off the affected leg.

It definitely was an option that Melinda kept suggesting; I'm a big guy and known to be more than a little obstinate, and wanted to see if I could do it fully rigged. So I did!

Back
Top Bottom