Diving Without BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good comments above! :)

I'll add that I like to use a neck weight and a weight belt. It improves my trim (and streamlining) to have some weight up on the neck. I usually carry 4 to 6 pounds on the neck and the remaining on the belt. This gives the option to to drop weight in two stages instead of an all or nothing option.

Good comments above! :)

I'll add that I like to use a neck weight and a weight belt. It improves my trim (and streamlining) to have some weight up on the neck. I usually carry 4 to 6 pounds on the neck and the remaining on the belt. This gives the option to to drop weight in two stages instead of an all or nothing option.
Revan,

I have never used a neck weight, and from my background in industrial hygiene/ergonomics I would have some reservations. Why? Well, a weight belt is around the waist, hopefully around th hips. This does not load the spine at one point. But a neck weight would put pressure on the cervical spine, and cause some long-term problems. We are now hearing of problems from helicopter aircrew members who wear night vision goggles on their helmets, which has led to cervical spine disc problems. For these reasons, I would not use neck weights.

SeaRat

hmm.. James Bond talking...
ok, why not:
Even rebreather (EOBA)
View attachment 457280
Heh! I found pictures of real "James Bond style" scuba! :)
1717d701c63ea87987ebd63ac6e5fe62.jpg

1775bb3b2a9e792d965e0107661d4f8e.jpg

スプラッシュ(SPLASH) - this !
splash_03w.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you all for the interesting discussion. I am not going to dive without BCD but I want to improve my technique until I will be able not to use the BCD if I decide to. I think it's a very good exercise for anyone

Revan,

I have never used a neck weight, and from my background in industrial hygiene/ergonomics I would have some reservations. Why? Well, a weight belt is around the waist, hopefully around th hips. This does not load the spine at one point. But a neck weight would put pressure on the cervical spine, and cause some long-term problems. We are now hearing of problems from helicopter aircrew members who wear night vision goggles on their helmets, which has led to cervical spine disc problems. For these reasons, I would not use neck weights.

SeaRat
I'd assume they mean the neck of the tank?

Oh sorry I see you told me about Dive trackers before... oops forgot! Sorry @Eric Sedletzky !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom