Diving worth it in Cancun???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is any worthwhile diving
in Cancun? Is it a real hassle to Ferry it over
to Cozumel? I'm tagging along with a friend and her
boys to Cancun, and I want to get her into Diving. I
dived in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Aruba.

I understand you can take a Ferry over to Cozumel, which
we will probably do a couple of days, but is there
any worthwhile diving in Cancun? Any sites that
we should be sure to Dive?? And good Dive Operator
in Cancun?

Thanks, Pam
pammym@juno.com

Pam,
There is tons of information on this board about Cancun.
Just go to the top of this page, and click on the "search Icon". Type Cancun and you and view everything.
Also Warhammer just got back, so you want want to email him directly if he doesn't see this post soon.
Have fun!
:sunny:

Cancun is definately worth diving. We were there about a month ago and I had also planned to hop the ferry to Coz, but decided to stay in Cancun instead, I wasn't disappointed. You can read my full report here.

We dove exclusively with Blue Peace and I was pleased with them. They run a 6 pack and their shop/boat is right on the hotel strip, under McDonalds. Their staff also speaks very good english, for the most part, and their instructors seemed to do real well with students. That would be a big plus for your friend. If at all possible, request that you go out with Fred. He is an American and was my pick of the DM/instructors. But the whole staff was extremely friendly, courteous and professional.

As far as dive sites go, a wreck called the Ultrafreeze is suppuse to be the ultimate site there, but it's difficult to get an op to do it. Blue Peace will go, but only with experienced divers and I believe they have a minimum of 4. Cancun also has a few new wrecks that are suppose to be pretty good. Unfortunately, we weren't able to dive them, but the reef was good and the fish life great on the sites we did dive. We saw numerous nurse sharks, rays, eels, turtles and all the usual critters. The current was mostly slight to moderate, made for easy diving. The vis was around 80', but probably much better now, since we were there on Chantel's heals, and the temp was 82.

My wife and I dove there 2 years ago. We dove with Scuba Cancun (across the street from the Hotel Maya on the north end of the strip. I have heard their two best divemasters have left for another dive operation. The sites we dove were of the northeast corner of the area. The seas can be a little rough. Best site was called "No Name" where nurse sharks congregate. All sizes from 2ft to 7 ft. Got to hold them and pet them! We did 6 dives, none of them deep (60' max), good visibility. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the dives though obviously not up to Cozumel standards. Blue Water is also a reputable operation. Stay away from the operation that has reps at all the resorts (aquaworld?), it's a cattle drive operation. Book directly with the dive operation and avoid any lobby reps that book for you for they get a 25-40% cut of the fees for a commission. The dive shops they recommend are listed according to how much of a commission they get, not listed by the quality of the dive operation. Have fun.
Keep Blowing Bubbles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom