AOW, Stay and General Advice for Cozumel/Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...as long as a new diver understands that the AOW course has nothing to do with becoming an advanced diver, I don't see an issue with going right into it...
As long as the "A" stands for "Advanced" there will always be grounds for that misunderstanding.

Sounds like an ideal trip. Who did you end up booking your dives with?
3P for the fun dives and Maple leaf scuba for a couple fun dives and AOW :)

idk how i am so close to my trip and havent booked my stay in PDC yet 🫠 any recommendations? not looking for anything fancy, I think I will be out and about most of the time doing land based things. I guess prefer being close to the ferry and ADO. Something okay from a safety perspective.

Saw more comments re AOW, wont be addressing them individually but I did post a detailed response / reasoning earlier in the thread for those who are interested. At this point, AOW is happening, we will see how it goes. :)

I've stayed twice at Hotel Real del Mayab. Suited my needs well for location near ADO and Ferry in PDC.

Thank you! I am carrying cash in USD, what would be the best way / place to convert USD cash to pesos when I arrive? (Flying into Cancun) Do you typically need pesos while on the island?

Do you typically need pesos while on the island?
No, it's not a matter of need but economy. Expenses that are listed in Pesos are generally cheaper in Pesos so I use my debit card to withdraw some at a bank-affiliated ATM for food, taxis, and even the hotel I use as that one lists their rates in Pesos. It may be more convenient only to carry & spend US Dollars tho so it's a personal call, and if one obtains Pesos then he is likely to still have some when he goes home, and there are other details - like "decline the first conversion rate offered." Either way, be sure to tell your bank that you will be using your credit or debit cards in Mexico before you leave the US so that they will not be blocked and confiscated. I take my excess Pesos home when I leave and store them with my Passport for the next trip but your home bank would probably take them if asked, for a fee.
I am carrying cash in USD, what would be the best way / place to convert USD cash to pesos when I arrive?
If you want to convert rather than withdraw, the money changers in town will have their rates posted. You will need to present your Passport when you exchange. I usually leave my Passport in my room safe even tho I think one is supposed to carry it. Losing a PP is a pain!

home bank would probably take them if asked, for a fee.
Maybe no fee. I'm going to be exchanging US for Australian and New Zealand money in a few weeks and my bank told me no fee when getting or returning cash. I guess it's possible though that the rate I get the foreign cash for may be different when I return it.

Maybe no fee. I'm going to be exchanging US for Australian and New Zealand money in a few weeks and my bank told me no fee when getting or returning cash. I guess it's possible though that the rate I get the foreign cash for may be different when I return it.
Yes, my bank claims no fee on currency conversions but gives poor exchange rates to cover that lie.

Ok people, I made it to Cozumel 😱 the bag drag is brutal… I’m gonna try to fly in directly next time lol at least one way. 🤣 Soo I just realized one of my dive shops didn’t give me any details about where to meet or when for a dive that’s tomorrow morning. That’s bad right? The second dive shop has clearly communicated everything so maybe it didn’t register in my brain the first one hasn’t sent me these details. I guess I’m just gonna have to show up tomorrow at 7.30 and hope for the best? 🥲

Ok people, I made it to Cozumel 😱 the bag drag is brutal… I’m gonna try to fly in directly next time lol at least one way. 🤣 Soo I just realized one of my dive shops didn’t give me any details about where to meet or when for a dive that’s tomorrow morning. That’s bad right? The second dive shop has clearly communicated everything so maybe it didn’t register in my brain the first one hasn’t sent me these details. I guess I’m just gonna have to show up tomorrow at 7.30 and hope for the best? 🥲
I avoid the bag drag but I wouldn't call it brutal. There must be more to your story.

Yeah, the dive shop should have given meet-up info and I would not just show up if I can avoid it. Have you called them? Many shops have 24 phone service. Have you checked their website?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom