Diving Yongala from a private boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just wondering if anybody has used there own boat to dive the SS Yongala wreck..I live about 4 hrs nth of ayr and want to dive there later this year out of my own boat.
I am aware that a permit is required and have looked into that but am after advice about launching from Alva Beach..there is a boat ramp from a tidal creek which was described to me as a "high tide" ramp due to a sandy bar .
Does anyone know what tide height is minimum to get in and out and any info about beach launching otherwise, as I have a 4WD but dont want to dunk it in salt water from a beach launch..
cheers

Scott

The tide on that beach does run out a fair way. They use a tractor to launch the LDS boat and sometimes it even gets stranded on the bar.

For launching at Alva beach you must have a 4wd or otherwise suitable vehicle, in fact the majority of the locals use tractors. I'll also recommend a good deal of launch and retrieval experience. The bars are constantly moving and there are many patches of soft sand sitting on softer mud. If you aren't quick there is a very good chance of bogging your vehicle or trailer.

Back
Top Bottom