Diving Zanzibar / Pemba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

we've got the opportunity to spend a week diving in Zanzibar / Pemba /Tanzania) beginning of march 2004.

Well, Google didn't help all that much, so I hope 2 find some answers here:

- Can anybody recommend a PADI-dive-center (preferebaly Zanzibar, Pemba might be an option, though) since my buddy wants to take his Advanced?

- We're on budget travel (except the diving :wink: ), so does anybody have a recommendation for some accomodation, too? A double-room shouldn't exceed 25US$ PP (means 50US$ per room per night, which I don't consider budget, actually.... :wacko: )

Any additional hints would be highly appreciated.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Gregor

In Zanzibar try Scuba Do in Kendwa, it's a small friendly and well run dive shop right on the most amazing beach. In the bungalow resorts next doo you should be able to find a room for 25 for two (Annex of Amaan being the cheapest, Sunset the nicest in my opinion), At Sunset Bungalows a double is usually $ 30.
The diving from Zanzibar is not great (but I'm spoilt), but some dives are quite nice (especially around Mnemba Atoll, and Leven Bank deep dive.
The diving from Pemba is better, however, it's a lot more expensive to get to from the mainland, and diving and accomodation is also more expensive. I dived with Swahili Divers there, but was not very impressed with them.
Enjoy, Zanzibar is amazing!!!!!

hi stefo2,

thanks a lot for your infos!

just one quick question:

u mentioned that Pemba is way better but way more expensive:
can u give me a figure what prices to expect for accomodation at Pemba? Getting there will not be the problem.

Actually, I'm spoiled, too, been diving in Thailand and Malaysia (a dream, can't be any better), but we're in Tanzania anyway, so I thought we could do some diving :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Gregor

At the Old Mission Lodge in Chake Chake, which is run by Swahili divers, you can get a dorm bed for 10 EUR, I think, or a basic double for 30 or 35, including all meals, which is actually not too bad. The diving was expensive, though, I think it was EUR 90 for a two tank boat dive (incl. equipment), which only gets less if you buy a package of 10 dives.
The diving is better than Zanzibar, however, of the two dives we did every day, usually only one was really good, the other one so-so. Also, their speed boat wasn't operational when we were there, so we did all diving from a converted dhow, which was fine, but slow, which meant that we were a bit limited in the sites we visited.
To get to Pemba you basically have to fly via Zanzibar.
Enjoy
Stef

Hi,

I am staioned at Ramstein AB in Kaiserslautern Germany. I am wanting to get certified in Scuba diving but I can't find a place here in Germany. I was wondering if you know of a place where I can get certified? Thanks.

hi aimee,

1st, i thought u must be joking, but seems u're serious... :wink:

ok, google usually helps, so i did that already for u.

if u don't mind PADI (which i actually do not), i'd take a look at http://easy-dive.de/
this is a 5 star padi idc located directly in ramstein, and they provide all classes in german and in english

website is german, though....

hope that helps!

gregor

This is a bit of an odd place to post a question on diving in Germany - under a thread on Zanzibar/Pemba in the Africa/ME forum...
Anyway, I find it hard to believe that you can't find a diveshop in Kaiserslautern. Just have a look at the yellow pages or go for a wander...

well, maybe it's a problem if you don't speak german, at least you have to know that "divecenter" means "tauchzentrum" in german :wink:

anyways, the divecenter i recommended is located in ramstein directly, it's a 5 star padi idc, and so i guess it's a good choice

gregor

Not sure why you would post your inquiry about certification in Germany under the forum Scuba Diving Destinations>Africa/Middle East>Diving Zanzibar/Pemba.

In any event, I have taken the liberty of moving it to the Europe forum in the hopes it will get a better response.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom