DIY Buoyancy Compensators / Wing / Air Cell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boltsNnuts

Reaction score
Anyone try making your own "wing" to attached to a std DIY backplate before?

I have seen many DIY on many equipment but not an air cell.

Hi,
Well come on board

I never thing about DIY own wing and plate? Interesting ya....
Tell me why you consider DIY?
Cheer
Jason

I think trying to save money by manufacturing one's own wing would be a foolhardy venture at best, and at worst, fatal.

Just my opinion.

the K

Why I am thinking about making a wing for myself? I suppose its all about "DIY". I did thought about money vs safety could be a reason that no one really wanted to built one for themselves. If I am going for Tec diving sure enough I would get the best. However, looking at some of the aircells available, I would thinking its possible to built one or assembled one knowing that I could get a couple of dump valve and the inflator kit from Trident or other manufacturer.

Well, that is a decision that only you alone can make.

the K

Hi,
WOW awesome create and assembly on gears cheaper than buy a brand name. wise guy.
You take Technical dive course with ......... diving association. I love technical dive, me going crossover to PADI and IANTD and taking Tech Instructor soon mid of the year in PG.:wink:

Cheer and Safe Dive
Jason:D

boltsNnuts:
Why I am thinking about making a wing for myself? I suppose its all about "DIY". I did thought about money vs safety could be a reason that no one really wanted to built one for themselves. If I am going for Tec diving sure enough I would get the best. However, looking at some of the aircells available, I would thinking its possible to built one or assembled one knowing that I could get a couple of dump valve and the inflator kit from Trident or other manufacturer.

I made a cheap wing one time. I dive singles, and don't need a lot of lift, so I took an old Seatec vest BC, cut off the front panels, and stuffed the front portion of the bladder into the back. I relocated the dump valve to the "new" front of the wing, and closed up the surgery with a row of buttons, for easy access. Works fine. Didn't affect the integrity of the bladder. It even looks ok, if you do a good job on the buttons. Think of it as a compact travel wing. :) It was better than letting a perfectly functional BC go to waste because I didn't like how it fit.

The Kraken:
I think trying to save money by manufacturing one's own wing would be a foolhardy venture at best, and at worst, fatal.

Just my opinion.

the K
If an employee at OMS that manufactures wings were to use one of his own assembled wings, would he be a fool and maybe die because he made and used his own wing?
It's very possible to make your own wing, you just need the proper materials and procedures to put it all together.
For the very reasonable price that comercial manufactured wings sell for, and their high quality, and great selection, I would not make my own. but I also really suck at sowing.

Agreed.....
Regards
Jason:05:
cnctina:
If an employee at OMS that manufactures wings were to use one of his own assembled wings, would he be a fool and maybe die because he made and used his own wing?
It's very possible to make your own wing, you just need the proper materials and procedures to put it all together.
For the very reasonable price that comercial manufactured wings sell for, and their high quality, and great selection, I would not make my own. but I also really suck at sowing.

cnctina:
Well, yea, but only because it's an OMS wing :D

Just kidding folks. It was one of those softball pitches that I had to hit.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom