DIY diffuser for D2000??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried to make their own diffuser for INON strobes? I have a nice large plastic milk bottle that is kinda thick and will be good material I think. Any idea if I can make this work with the external auto? What type of attachment did you use? No idea where to get the proper sized ss screws. I'd like to give it a go before dropping $70 on two of the real ones.

Any pics would be awesome!

Thanks
Jon

It works fine. The screws you can get from McMaster. I don't know what " make this work with the external auto" means.
Bill

It works fine. The screws you can get from McMaster. I don't know what " make this work with the external auto" means.
Bill

Thanks Bill...would you happen to know the exact screw I'm looking for?

External Auto is one setting on the strobe and INON sells two different diffusers. One for $35 that is designed to be used with it and one that's $18 that isn't.

you have to see if the milk container passes light that is as neutral as possible. I guess the easiest way is to cut a piece and place it in front of the strobe and take a picture and compare picture to w/o diffuser.

i made several difusers for the D2000 and Z240.
You need to make holes for the focus light and the light sensor as on the original diffuser.
I used:
- milky acrylic sheet (perspex/acrylic glass) cut round and drilled holes for the screws and the light sensor/focus light
- various milk/tupperware plastic disks
- white baby socks, nylons and white plastic shopping bags (stitched on a thin bungee cord to hold it over the strobe)

Perspex worked best and is in various types/thickness/texture available but need medium DYS skills to saw/drill it and a place to find
the right screws.
Milk/tupperware worked less good, but are more simple to shape and cheap
Socks, nylons and plastic bags work "not bad" and are easy to assemble and un/mount but look "unprofessional"

The screws are M4 or M3 metric treads, i found them here in Italy and we have no imperial treads in Europe.
A bigger hardware shop should carry them, if not in SS get them in brass or steel and change them frequently.

Chris

Thanks...so you are not sure if it's m3 or m4? I would imagine that you need one or the other.

...External Auto is one setting on the strobe and INON sells two different diffusers. One for $35 that is designed to be used with it and one that's $18 that isn't.

It appears the only difference between the $18 model and the $35 one is a plastic grommet and a couple extra holes. You might give reefphoto or one of the other resellers a call to confirm as that would be an easy DIY upgrade and will give you far better results than a milk jug.

Divervision provides a pretty good closeup photo at INON -0.5 White Diffuser 2 (External Auto) for Z-240/D-2000/W/Wn/D-180/S

No i am not sure and i don't have the screws here.
Take the strobe to your hardware shop and try the size and tread.
Don't screw them in too deep, you may crack the housing, use (split) washer(s) or nut(s) to keep the screw holding well,
but not screwing in at all.
Tiny o-rings can act as shock absorbers and avoid that the screw unscew.
Chris

If you don't use one with the hole in it, you will have problems with the operation of the strobe. When I bought my D2000 they sent me a diffuser that said it was correct on the box but had the wrong one in it. My old D180 worked great with the right diffuser and the new D2000 would not with it's new diffuser. I noticed the difference between the two diffusers and decided to swap them......lo and behold, the D2000 worked great and the D180 did not. Eventually we determined that they had a batch of diffusers that were labelled properly on the box but had the wrong part inside. Once we swapped it out for the correct one both strobes worked perfectly. If you make one yourself, just put the small home in the right place and it should be good to go. As Lwang says, cut one out and give it a try. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom