DIY Dive flag/float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquintyPete

Contributor
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has built their own flag/float

While I was helping my girlfriend move, I found she had a couple yards of bright red nylon fabric she was going to throw away (same fabric flags are made of) she also had some other colors and a tad of White... So I got to thinking hey I could make a flag.

So I kept the fabric to the side and have a handful of dowel rods that I am contributing to the flag pile...

My idea was getting a .88 cent round tube float from Wal-mart building one bright red cover for it. Creating a pole out of the dowel rods (one set of crossbars on one half of the float the other set of cross bars on the upper half) creating a 2 foot high extension and sewing the flag... and 50 ft of rope
Attaching it all together and poof a less than 10 dollar float/flag
_________

Just curious if anyone has built something as mundane as a dive flag and float and if they had any tips on how to make something like this work enough to keep......

But then again, it's a scarry place and none but the bravest ideas dare cross it... :) That's actually a great idea. I would probably make the uprights (and associated flag holding hardware - fhh from now on) out of 1/2" pvc piping for anti-corrosion reasons. In fact, you could make an octogon with enough 45 degree elbows and lash that to the top of the tube to make a secure connection for the uprights and cross member. At that point you need to make sure that the whole thing is counterbalanced with a sub surface weigh to keep it from toppling like a WWII destroyer with a list. Looks like I have my weekend planned out for me!

-Frank

Here's one I've built
you'll need an old milk crate, a car/small truck intertube, zipties, 1/2 a fishingpole (you've found fishing poles right?) or small pvc pipe.

zip tie the pole to the inside of the milk crate, pull the intertube around the crate and inflate. Attach the flag to the top of the pole. All you need to add is a reel of rope or line to the botton of the crate to tow it with you.

Its big, stable and a pain to tow in a current or wind.
Most dive shops can order this or a variant of it and Global makes an alum bracket that can eliminate the milk crate.

If this sounds like a total mess PM me and I'll find a picture. :D

MeDiver

I built a float out of PVC pipes & fittings. The float was 4" diameter pipe with end caps glued on. I butted some 1" screw fittings onto the top and bottom of the float. A section of 1" tube with the flag mounted on it screwed into the top. A second section of 1" tube worked as a "keel". There was so much bouyancy in the 4" tube that we just added lead to the bottom of the keel tube until everything stayed upright. I also glued a ring of 1" tube on to tie the rope to.
The flag pole and keel can be removed for carrying and storage.

I've added a quick drawing of the unit as well.

I have often thought about doing a dive float made from a lawn tractor inner tube.

You can get an 8" diameter inner tube, and cut a circle of plywood to fit the hole in the center. Then drill 4 holes around the outside edge of the plywood to loop rope around the innertube to attach it secured in the middle. a hole in the middle could be made to hold a small flagpole, and on the other side, a wieght and eyebolt.

just use vinyl paint, and presto, a bright red innertube dive float!

I built my own dive float & flag.
It is not compact, but is intended to be a stable surface platform,
for students to hold onto, during coaching, and briefing sessions at open
water dives.
The mast (1 inch aluminum tube) is removable like a bayonet, push down, 1/4
turn and it pulls out.
The bottom is a 30 inch diameter piece of 1/2 inch plywood, with holes
drilled about 3 inches in, all around to allow lacing with rope to secure
the top and inner tube. The top is also 1/2 inch plywood with 3 pie shaped
sections cut out, to allow easy access and allow things to be stored in the
float. There is a 1 1/2 inch hole drilled in the center to allow the mast
to stick up through.
The top is secured by light cord laced through the holes in the bottom and
wrapped around the inner tube capturing the tube between the top and bottom.
The down line is secured to an eye bolt, up through the bottom and screwed
into an aluminum T bar.
The T bar is a 7/8 dia aluminum post, 4 inches long, with a 1/4 inch dia pin
pressed through the side of the post, about 3 inches up from the bottom.
The mast has an inverted J shaped slot 2 1/2 inches long, 3/16 inch wide, in
it to pick up the 1/4 inch pin sticking out of the post. Tension on the
mast is created with a coil spring in the mast, that is compressed when it
is pushed down over the post.
The top and bottom are painted red. The aluminum parts are bare, since I use
this float in fresh water.

I have drawings in pdf format
pm me if you'd like a copy

Mike D

That's perfect mike!

Exactly what I was thinking, only on a slightly larger scale!

While diving up in the Niagra River on a dive charter, they used a laundry basket stuck in the middle of an innertube. It was wire tied in place with a 1/2 dowel sticking up on one side with a flag. The basket is deep enough to bite into the water for stability without flipping. It was nice too because if you found any "treasures" while drifting along you could pop up and stuff it in the basket (my buddy found a perfect ink bottle from the 1860's). It was very stable and large enough to support the 3 of us very comfortably on the surface while we waited for pick up. Afterwards you could deflate the tube and carry wet gear in it if you wanted too. Very simple, light weight and cost effective.

When not diving from a boat, have used the good old inner tube concept for years. I did weave together 2" webbing for a 4 point soft "tuge frame". Webbing is also yellow to increase visibility, in addition to flags. To this is a heavy mesh bag inside, and 1" webs going down to 5 foot intersection beneath tube. This puts a load on it so it doesn't get knocked over by wave, boat wakes, or wind.

At the 5' point we have small chain shackle and another 10' of web for a sturdy 15' safety stop point, with another chain link point for extra gear etc.

I use the commerical aluminum tube and flag supports that strap to an innner tube. I do however, have two flags set at 90 degrees to each other to increase visibility particularly from directly up/down wind. Below the flags we have a portable stern light for night diving, tie wrapped to the post. It shines clearly as an anchor or right of way keep clear light to keep boats clear, and illuminates the flags. We appear to get more respect from the night configuration than the day flag.

This design has been encouraged by my local marine police division. Ironically we are required in Michigan to fly a dive flag, even at night, but no legal provisions to have it visible at night.

What ever you do do not use a strobe at night on a dive float and flag. Not only is it illegal lighting, but will draw boats like insects.

I was wondering if there was a way to make a light-weight flag similar to the ones in the scuba shop, but for less than the $15 they charge.

Theirs usually consists of a ball or cylinder of styrofoam through which a thin rod of several feet is inserted with a flag at one end and a lead weight at the other. Ta da.
Simple. A clump of styro, a rod, a weight, and a flag.
How easy.

But when I went to the hardware superstore, the only styro they had was in massive thin sheets used for insulation.
Where do you get a cheap ball of styro nearly a foot in diameter?

And, more important, is styro used in a project like this ecologically safe? Don't birds and fish pick at it and doesn't strofoam last forever?

Back
Top Bottom