DIY dive shorts (like X-shorts)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slonda828

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I wanted to see if I could come up with a good way to have thigh pockets that I could transfer between my various wetsuits (or when diving skin) that wouldn't break the bank. So I went to Wal-mart and found a pair of Gold's Gym workout shorts that are made of neoprene from the workout aisle for ten bucks, cut the pockets off of an old Zeagle BC that I had, and had them sewn on. Now, for only 15 bucks total, I have a pair a comfy, useful dive shorts with bellows pockets on them. If you have trouble finding pockets, the pockets off of a pair of BDUs would work as well. This is a great bang for the buck solution, and the shorts are form fitting with thigh pockets so they work without creating extra drag. The draw string on them helps keep them snug as well. I thought I would share this and maybe save some of you some cash.

101_0756.jpg

101_0757.jpg

I have found that the best way is to order the thigh pockets from DSS and then glue them onto your wetsuit(s).

That's really not at all what this topic is about, but thanks for your comment. Besides, I dive three wetsuits. I dive one for Florida springs, one for Pennsylvania Springs, and one for the ocean around here. Pockets are at least 50 bucks per wetsuit typically. This little project was 15 bucks.

Where'd you get the pockets sewn on?

I had my favorite local Korean seamstress do it. She sewed it down so well it would take C4 to get it off. Plus those gym shorts are not super stretchy like modern neoprene is, so the pockets are REALLY on there.

My local seamstress is Russian and she won't do cordura. It pisses me off.

ALso, how much stuff do you take on a dive that you need extra pockets for? I had the Dive Rite pocket that fit on the harness wast strap and them velcro'ed around your thigh. That was another PITA thing to deal with and I started taking more junk that I did not need on the dive.
When I was building stuff underwater, I just wore heavy canvas overalls over a wetsuit and shoved what I needed in the pockets, but that was task-specific.
So whatever I take on a dive is strapped somewhere on me for ready access. I lose a lot less stuff that way too.
Also what happens when you get back in the boat, take off your rig, and your shorts slide down your neoprened body and bunch at your ankles? Tough to look cool doing that.
Also, if you need shorts, hey - go for it.

Thanks for sharing. Would never thought that gym shorts would be made out of neoprene.

ALso, how much stuff do you take on a dive that you need extra pockets for? I had the Dive Rite pocket that fit on the harness wast strap and them velcro'ed around your thigh. That was another PITA thing to deal with and I started taking more junk that I did not need on the dive.
When I was building stuff underwater, I just wore heavy canvas overalls over a wetsuit and shoved what I needed in the pockets, but that was task-specific.
So whatever I take on a dive is strapped somewhere on me for ready access. I lose a lot less stuff that way too.
Also what happens when you get back in the boat, take off your rig, and your shorts slide down your neoprened body and bunch at your ankles? Tough to look cool doing that.
Also, if you need shorts, hey - go for it.

This may sound dumb, but I don't have anything that I need those pockets for. I put simple things like my finger spool or SMB or flashlight in them. Before you say anything, I am well aware of where all those things go (left hip D-ring, butt ring, right chest D-ring). I put stuff in there and then hover like two or three feet off the bottom when I help out with open water classes to show students how task loading works. Plus it's good practice. One day when I'm diving technical and I actually carry an extra mask or a jon line or other stuff, then I'll know how to get stuff in and out without my buoyancy going the way of the dodo. YMMV

Word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom