DIY drysuit drier blower motor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What he said. BUT. A small amount of ozone might actually be a good thing, it will kill any mildew or fungus spores before they can become an issue in your gear. Something to lie awake at night wondering about.(G)

Using USB fans and a battery bank is a GREAT idea. (D'oh!) I find that the liners in my wetsuit booties pretty much ensure they are always wet even when the suit has dried out. That would give me a handy way to just stuff a small fan in them, and make sure they dry out as fast as the rest.

Single 4" computer fan will dry a flooded drysuit overnight. I have a PVC frame and glued a computer fan to a PVC floor drain. It is not forceful, but a gentle breeze is all that is needed.

And computer fans are safe, cheap, and if picked right quiet.

I dunno, I use a small wet-dry vac connected to a couple of 3/4" PVC pipes with 3/8" holes drilled every couple of inches towards the bottom. You either suck, or connect the hose to the exhaust if you prefer to blow.

I'm also a big fan (pun intended) of this hanger.

Yup... works, portable, cheap... and it's a decent drysuit hanger to boot.

Single 4" computer fan will dry a flooded drysuit overnight. I have a PVC frame and glued a computer fan to a PVC floor drain. It is not forceful, but a gentle breeze is all that is needed.

And computer fans are safe, cheap, and if picked right quiet.
Can you connect computer fans to USB or something?

How do you power yours without a motherboard?

How do you connect them to a PVC tube? Just gaffer tape?

Computer fan runs on 12V. I have some wall wart 12V power supply I recycled. There are tons of 12V power supplies as that is a pretty universal voltage. Exact 12V not needed. 12V, 13.6V, all works the same.
Quick Amazon example (being you are in UK you will need to find something that fits your local plugs)
I used a floor drain like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-R...-Stainless-Steel-Drain-Cover-435782/305248421 and used some RTV left over from an auto repair. Hot glue, epoxy, just about any adhesive substance can be used. I just used what was handy at the moment and wasn't an additional expense.

The floor drain is NOT glued to the PVC frame, just a friction fit. I can remove it and the power cord when breaking it down. The legs are not glued in either. A little twist, wiggle, and pull will remove them for storage. The only thing that is glued is the U-shaped base that has the 3 T-fittings in it. One for each leg and one for the fan.

most popular 12v power supply - is led power supply (PS) :)
for led stripes, lamps etc..
Amazon.com : 12 volt led power supply - tons of it :)

about PC fan connection - always you have black wire. it is "-".
connect it to the black wire from power supply (or to the "-", or to the "COM"

than most of PC fans has Red wire. If the fan is 12v than it "+".
1667216963724.png

some PC fans could have yellow against red (if yellow WITH red wire - here yellow is not usable for you) - than it is "+"
anyway - for most fans wire next to black should be "+" :)
1667216724836.png

green and blue - not usable in most cases.

I use 90mm PC fan inside of exhaust vent. Just cut four angles with connecting holes
1667217236864.png

than take polyurethane foam (in stripes), take one-two turns around, and insert it in to the pipe.
to my PVC pipe in the toilet fits perfect :)

P.S. about blue wire (in case of four wires of PC fan, it should be on another side of connector from the black) - if you connect it to the black wire - fan drops down rotation speed and became much more silent.
On this mode I always turn it on for constant toilet ventilation :) without any annoying noise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom