DIY Hid light batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually i wanna build my own 4.8 amp li-ion batteries. got a new 21w salvo and they dont sell those batts yet

Well....has anyone had any experiences with Lithium Ion batteries? I'm starting to think about using one in my DIY divelight. (i've got a couple from old laptops!)

Any ideas?

Lithium Ion batteries have a higher energy density per unit weight than NiMH batteries (110-160 Wh/Kg vs 60-120 Wh/Kg). This is not a great advantage for diving IMO.

They have poorer overcharge tolerance compared to NiMH. It's very easy to fry them if you don't use a charger specifically designed for them. The charger must have temperature sensor attached to the battery pack, unless you enjoy watching batteries burn :) .

They have better resistance to self discharge, but you should always charge your dive light before use anyway.....

Cycle life is about the same (200-500 cycles).

Unfortunately Lithium Ion also have an aging effect not present with nickel battery chemistries. Depending on manufacturer, Lithium Ion batteries only have a life of about 3 years. Manufacturers recommend storage temperatures of about 15°C (59°F). In addition, the battery should be partially charged (40% charge) during storage.

Bottom line is I've looked at using Lithium Ion batteries on my dive light and I don't find the advantages to be worth the extra cost.

Your mileage may vary however.

Perhaps I don't understand the problem, so please bear with me.

Many deep submersibles a large number (often twenty) 12 volt truck batteries that are housed in a "trough" filled with mineral oil with a flexible membrane on top. This sytem is good to at least 1000 meters. For a dive light, might it be easier and less expensive to take the same approach, but with motorcycle batteries?

Who wants to carry around something as large and heavy as a motorcycle battery underwater and dela with getting mineral oil everywhere when you want to charge it?

The old lead-acid battery canisters were gigantic. The industry moved to NiMH because you could make the canisters less than half the size and weight.

I am using 10- d-cell Nimh, 10000mah. I bought them on e-bay. With my 50w halogen I get 2.5hrs of burn time. A guy I dive with has a HID and uses a 12V emergency Light battery and the Canister is HUGE<an anchor :p>. There are pictures of my canister light in the thread DIY CANISTER LIGHT. YOu can use a HID bulb with my set up or LED MR16.. <they are on ebay too>.

The thread my DIY canister is in...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=137949&page=2 post number 15

and the wiring set up is post 23..

I don't remeber who...but someone menchoned that they soldered the batteries together? I heard that was a big no-no, to solder directly to batteries. If it's ok to do, I might redisign my canister...mine is looking pretty ghetto....
View attachment 33182

Kwbyron:
I don't remeber who...but someone menchoned that they soldered the batteries together? I heard that was a big no-no, to solder directly to batteries. If it's ok to do, I might redisign my canister...mine is looking pretty ghetto....
View attachment 33182

The batteries they are soldering together are built with a tab specifically for that purpose.

Joe

Kevin, are you bringing that this wednesday? I'd like to take a look at it. Been working off an on on my own for a while. What did you do for a lighthead? Usually you don't want to solder the batteries together as direct heat can damaged the battery. the ones you solder together are like these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1203

I've been thinking of doing something similar to what you're looking at, with the batteries removable, that way you can use disposable if you're traveling, and for testing purposes (no need to flood $100) worth of batteries on a test dive.

Jake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom