DIY Knife Sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpeedyBob27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for a DIY Knife Sheath. I have a homemade dive knife, made with stainless steel. Suggestions?

I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for a DIY Knife Sheath. I have a homemade dive knife, made with stainless steel. Suggestions?

Kydex is fairly easy to mold. And should be salt water resistant.

My first project with a sewing awl:
full?d=1288745438.jpg

DIY Shear Sheath
one small tip:
I have similar for same scissors, and use different safety strap - thin small and short (20-30 cm = 1 foot) line, that attached to scissors and shears.
If you accidentaly drop you scissors from shears - you will not lost it - it stay attached.
When you need to operate in emergency case - just cut this line, using same scissors :)
h-2761-jpg.479812.jpg
h-2762-jpg.479813.jpg
most simple. Just piece of strap and For sewing I used Dyneema braid fishing line 0.2-0.3 mm.
This shape:
upload_2020-6-29_18-48-33.png
upload_2020-6-29_18-51-46.png

(side view) __________________________________(front view)

lots of DIY kydex sheath stuff online. Can also use super stiff webbing, but kydex will probably hold up better.
My question is how to make a sheath with a locking mechanism, as I am worried about my knife potentially falling out.

Four layers of strap in shears jaws is enough to hold anyting inside very tight.
upload_2020-6-29_19-17-20.png

Also - please, read text in the comment above.. about Safety line :) Scissors, Knife - for usage there is no difference.
Just use such simple solution and do not worry about knife loss.1

Four layers of strap in shears jaws is enough to hold anyting inside very tight.
View attachment 595052
Also - please, read text in the comment above.. about Safety line :) Scissors, Knife - for usage there is no difference.
Just use such simple solution and do not worry about knife loss.1
Ok. Will that work for kydex sheathes as well?

You can try same idea :) And tell us later :)
But I think this way will work only with soft strap, not with hard plastic. May be will work too, but just for few insertion - ejection...
And safety line can work with anything, just keep your knife sharp.
Most simple lock mechanism is velcro ring, attached to shears, and closed over the knife handle.
Or rubber ring, attached on the top part of shears, and putting over top of the knife handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom