DIY Liftbag ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssdiver2003

Reaction score
any idea on how to make a DIY liftbag ???

I'm known as kind of a tight wad when it comes to spending money but some things are just better store bought than homemade. I think a lift bag is one of them. In order for it to operate safely you need a pressure release valve as in one with a cord hanging down to pull on or similar type. I gave some thought to a DIY one but in the end bought one. :shades:

ssdiver2003 once bubbled...
any idea on how to make a DIY liftbag ???
The crudest , funniest, and cheapest I've seen is two plasic shopping bags, each connected to an anchor chain with a small ball bungee.

When filled from an octo just before going to safety stop, the bags partially lifted the anchor chain, making it easier to retrieve the anchor after the dive.

Obviously, this was a case where failure wasn't a big concern.

In a pinch and being one bag short of having enough lift to move a large rock needed to anchor a mooring bouy on a sand bottom, I used a 30 gallon plastic garbage bag inside a large nylon mesh goodie bag. It actually worked very well and had maybe 75 lbs of lift, but I don't recommend it for everyday use - liftbags are not all that expensive.

I'm currently working on making a couple of lift bags. My research about commercially made lift bags has concluded that they are made of a poly-urethane coated nylon material. Since I have no idea where to get this, I'll likely try out some sail material for sail boats. This might be too thick, but it'd be start. Another idea was the plastic material that wind surfers use for their sails. It's rather thin, but obviously has the tensile strength.

... using a dry bag. it is a thick plastic type of material commonly used by kayakers. it is operated by rolling down the rim 3 or 4 times and then clipped together. i would install a dump valve and you are done. they cost around $12 cdn (for the bag alone).

Back
Top Bottom