DIY Nitrox Stick hooks up to used compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Pham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I plan to buy a used Bauer jrii and make a Nitrox Stick to blend Nitrox 32. How safe is it for using a used compressor? Do I need to O2 any part on the compressor side before blending? Thanks

I think I would pull it apart and clean, then change to synthetic oil (if it is not already). That should do it. I had my compressor from new but changed to synthetic well before making the oxygen stick. Have been using it this way now for about 8 years.

the only thing is to make sure you are watching it like a hawk and shut off the O2 supply slightly before the compressor cuts off so you don't dump a bunch of O2 straight into the first stage.

the only thing is to make sure you are watching it like a hawk and shut off the O2 supply slightly before the compressor cuts off so you don't dump a bunch of O2 straight into the first stage.
+1, and I like to use a solenoid valve to make sure. When your compressor autostops, so should the O2 flow.

agreed, hard to work up on a gas compressor though and a lot of the JrII's that I've seen are gas powered
How do they auto shutoff and auto drain?

Thanks all, and what part should I of the compressor should I O2 clean?
None of it. Not in my opinion anyway. You are putting 32% in and taking 32% out. None of that equals O2. You will need to O2 clean your feed to the mixing stick if you are homebuilding, but the issue is O2 under pressure. You don't really think that torch hoses are all that clean, do you?

Thanks all, and what part should I of the compressor should I O2 clean?
None of it but you need to make sure there are no carbon deposits from mineral oil use inside. Then switch to a synthetic oil. If you just switch oils without cleaning any mineral deposits inside the new synthetic oil will allow those deposits to break off and cause problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom