DIY Scuba Gear Bucket with Beer Holder...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Ahh yes, that cross eyed look a new diver gets when they show up to the boat with a giant tote holding months of accumulated dive gear... Then it turns into a duffel bag big enough to hold a human... Then a large backpack... and finally, a bucket that can hold your post dive beer.

Yep, that was me nearly two years ago. Although guys are still using these giant duffel bags. Put 4 divers on a small boat with these giant duffels and you now have a cluster.

I try to be a sensible minimalist when I can. And so the big tote was eliminated, the giant duffel was eliminated and then I went to the backpack, which was fine, except I had to clean the dang thing and let it dry for a couple days after a trip. So my solution, the Scuba Gear Bucket with a Beer Holder. :)

There's really nothing special, except to make this work well you really need a square bucket. They are commonly sold with chlorine tablets or cat litter. I grabbed this bucket for free as someone had it sitting out for trash pick up. The square bucket lets you tuck it somewhere out of the way on the boat. Add a couple bungees to secure it to something.

A $5 boat cup holder console screwed to the side holds your drinks and post dive beer. There's never enough cup holders on a boat. And the little console tray conveniently holds a wrist computer and other small accessories during your surface interval.

I picked up a few waterproof boxes. The large one holds all of my small tools and save a dive kits. The blue one holds a spare reg and transfer whip. The other small clear one on the outside holds my wallet and cell phone. I also vacuum sealed a couple spare hoses. And as you can see, in all, it holds all of my essential gear from a reg set to gloves and everything in between and it takes up no more than a few cubic feet on the boat.

Since all of the tools are in waterproof cases I can simply fill the bucket with water to clean all of my accessories. Drill a few holes in the bottom to allow the water to drain, leave the lid open and a couple days later everything is dry and ready to go for the next trip.

If I can convince other divers to ditch the giant human sized duffel bags we won't be tripping all over everyone's gear.

Now the cross eyed looks I get are, "That's it? That's all you're bringing?"

20161218_111209.jpg
20161218_111139.jpg
20161218_111251.jpg
20161218_111751.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea, too bad it won't hold my 7mm farmer john and trimmings.

Bob

very cute....

I've stumbled over those duffel bags in a small boat! Great idea!

Great idea, too bad it won't hold my 7mm farmer john and trimmings.

Bob
It won't hold mine either, but I just stuff my suit in my BC harness along with my fins and clip my mask to the harness. Most of the year I just dive in the same light moisture wicking clothes I'm wearing topside.

I just try to bring as little as possible now. Hell, I don't even bring a personal cooler for my lunch, waters and beer. Put it in a bag and throw it in the boat cooler. Do we really need to be tripping over 4 personal coolers?

very cute....

Cute??? Dammit, now I'm going to have to paint it black and kick dirt on it. :)

I've stumbled over those duffel bags in a small boat! Great idea!

Thanks. They are really overkill for most divers, IMO.

I think its cute too!

But I just roll my duffle bag up after I get all my gear out and stow it out of the way, usually within 10 minutes of getting on the boat.

I think its cute too!

But I just roll my duffle bag up after I get all my gear out and stow it out of the way, usually within 10 minutes of getting on the boat.

Yes, but can your duffel bag hold your beer? :D

It really helps to keep your crap together for days of repetitive diving. Everything back in the bucket instead of scattered about the deck.

The backpack worked great for that, but like I said, then I had to clean it and the average backpack simply isn't made to withstand the marine environment no matter how much silicone spray I put on it. And I'll be dammed if I'm going to pay double for a "scuba" backpack that I still have to clean. lol

Cute??? Dammit, now I'm going to have to paint it black and kick dirt on it. :).

No, rattle can it blue-ocean cammo for the win.
Then dump that piss and replace with a Black and Tan.
I like it. I use a two - pistol plastic container for like items. old mesh bag for just about everything else. I do get asked "uh, what's in the box" every so often [box has embossed land killing scenes and stuff.]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom