DIY SMB/Tail-Weight Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim_pacnwdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a SMB that was bigger than I wanted to put in my DS pocket, I tried a couple pre-packaged SMB bags but they seemed small for this SMB and as always I was trying to tweak my buoyancy and looking for a way to attach weight low on my plate. This is the idea I came up with.

A combo SMB bag / Tail weight.

SMBbag_640x480.jpg

It is a custom fit bag and an internal sleeve that I can put up to 3 2# round weights in
(It would fit an inner tube filled with shot as well).
insideBag_640x480.jpg

Has this been done before? or Does any one see a problem with the design?

Edit to figure out how to insert photos.

Here are my DIY instructions:

Cut mesh 15x13 and 6x12 Velcro 2 each 6x2 and 2x2
Stick on Velcro as shown, folding the bag edge .25" and stitch along the edge.

a-mainBagcut1_640x480.jpg

d-leadBagcut2_640x480.jpg

Fold main bag with Velcro out and stitch the edge opposite the Velcro.

e-stitch1_640x480.jpg

Lay strap inside long edge as shown and stitch.

f-stitch2_640x480.jpg

Fold weight bag so it is stitched adjacent to the main bag but shorter so it is inside the main bag when right side out.

g-stitch3_640x480.jpg

Stitch the weight bag to the strap over the main bag stitching.
Turn main bag right side out

SMBbag_640x480.jpg

Apply grommets for your particular kit (I used 5/16 eyelets and Paracord)

Nice idea. Adaptable, instead of the "one-size-fits-all" (or none!). I think I might give it a go. Maybe making the weight pocket fit an ankle weight?? Where did you get the mesh from? - XD

xdfireguy:
Nice idea. Adaptable, instead of the "one-size-fits-all" (or none!). I think I might give it a go. Maybe making the weight pocket fit an ankle weight?? Where did you get the mesh from? - XD

Thanks, I used Nylon Mesh Fabric from American Home & Habitat. I also got the red Poly-Pro webbing there (originally for something else) and used it because it was easier to sew through than standard 2" strap..

Good job.

I remember that an exact same one was sold at one of LDS in Chicago Area.

It looked very versatile stuff...

In addition, you can add two grommets on the top...

Nice job! How much to make one for me? :eyebrow:

I'm working on one based on his plans.. roughly. If all goes well, I'll see about making an extra for a few bucks if you're interested. $10 or so..

I'm working on one based on his plans.. roughly. If all goes well, I'll see about making an extra for a few bucks if you're interested. $10 or so..

Sold. Let me know. :)

Still buying homemade dive gear off the internet? How's the belt?

Back
Top Bottom