DIY Strobe Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonygagey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any one got a schematic for a strobe light (position indication Type) as I am drawing a blank?

You could try reverse-engineering the circuit used in those disposable cameras... I've heard that you used to be able to pick up used ones for free at some photo shops. Depending on what you are trying to do, you might even be able to use the flash module outright, with the addition of a simple trigger circuit and (presumably) a new battery.

A quick google did the hard work for me. Here's a link: 1.5 Volt Strobo with a Kodak Max Disposable Camera

Why, you can pickup a depth rated strobe at West Marine for $50?

There are lots of DIY sch online for strobes.

Word of warning, the trigger voltage is high and the discharge could kill.

Thanks Gents but I Think We Have A Typical US/UK cross over here MY Fault as this is a US based site. Let me clarifiy, In The UK a Strobe is a maker light, while in the US a strobe is What We Would call a Flash, Sorry.

Why, you can pickup a depth rated strobe at West Marine for $50?
'Cause that's about $45 too much for something like this :)

Try your local 1-hour photo place, if you can still find one. Scavange the disposable cameras and salvage the strobes and inverter circuit from there. You should be able to put a C-sized battery, a magnetic switch, and four or so of those in a scrap piece of clear arcylic pipe (TAP Plastics) for a lot less if you've got a good junk box lying around.

I can see a strobe being a couple of things: 1- a camera flash or 2- a repeating flash, like one would tie to a down-line or anchor line on a night dive to find your way back to the boat.

I figured that you could hack the disposable camera flash to be the repeating type (i.e. type 2) with some minor tinkering and a well-stocked junk box.

Everything is over priced because of insurance, product liability is huge on this stuff.

But if you really want to make one of EQUAL value it will most likely cost you more.

Its the repeating strobe I am after I want Three!
1 For the Shotline
1 for me
1 for a backup
So they need to be compact and powerfull
Next stop from Wales is the US if I get caught out in currents!
I think I will go with the disposable camerae flash idea if I can.

Good Luck - I'd be curious to know how they turn out.

Got a book on electronics(Electronics for dummies) it had a plan for a flashing led light, got the parts; so far built three with some success. cost about £1(2$) each! now just need a housing......
Thinking of encasing the electrics in silicon first?

Back
Top Bottom