DIY: travelling twin cam band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
has any of u tried to make your own travelling twin cam band for independnet doubles?

I just made some out of aluminum for a new aluminum backplate I got, cost me about 20 bucks. I put a thread in here called twin brackets a week or so ago.

I dive a bp/w rig. For IDs, I switch from my single tank wing to my doubles wing, reverse the STA, and add an extra pair of cam straps and slide keepers to rig the IDs like this:

back.jpg

ID_rig2.jpg

I cut the center bar off the triglides since the first pic was taken (see them in the 2nd pic). It makes things easier. I also bought longer carriage bolts for my STA (not necessary, but can make things easier)...

Here are a few more pics, some mine, some from similar setups. I've also posted about this before, so if you search you'll find more details, but what you see is pretty self-explanatory:

sta2.jpg

sta1.jpg

independants_using_sta.jpg

sk_STA2.jpg

sk_STA1.jpg

Heyya Floater,

Which single tank adaptor is that? i have an OMS ss backplate, will it work?

will it b strong enough for 2 12lt steel tank?

thanks for the pictures.

Heyya Floater,

Which single tank adaptor is that? i have an OMS ss backplate, will it work?

will it b strong enough for 2 12lt steel tank?

thanks for the pictures.

I'm using an Oxycheq lightweight STA on a DSS backplate. But you can rig IDs like this using any similar STA and any normal backplate, although you may need to get longer STA bolts for it. It's strong enough for pretty much any pair of tanks. I've used it with double 12lt and larger steels without a problem.

Oxycheq also makes a cheaper 2-piece STA that would probably work just for this purpose, though some people prefer the 1-piece STAs because they automatically align correctly along the plate. But 2-piece STA's have their advantages too.

I'm using an Oxycheq lightweight STA on a DSS backplate. But you can rig IDs like this using any similar STA and any normal backplate, although you may need to get longer STA bolts for it. It's strong enough for pretty much any pair of tanks. I've used it with double 12lt and larger steels without a problem.

Oxycheq also makes a cheaper 2-piece STA that would probably work just for this purpose, though some people prefer the 1-piece STAs because they automatically align correctly along the plate. But 2-piece STA's have their advantages too.

Thanks for your quick reply

1. what's d advantage of the 2 pieces STA?

2. what about using the soft single tank adaptor (Wings-STA) for your DIY twintank band?

thanks again

re: twin cam band kit.
Hi, do you happen to have a drawing with measurements (that I can hand to a metal worker) to make up this great setup ? esp emailable or put on Google docs.

I would be surprised if there is a drawing of this as it was made from off-the-shelf components. I know of a CAD drawing for a single tank adaptor from another source. PM me with an email and I'll send it to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom